Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Great tyro 2011-09-21 4:53

Hi Les,

Perhaps your weekend away at Woolacombe didn't do much for either your or Gladys's suntan but you have certainly captured a beautiful photograph here.

That sky is just fabulous - great masses of dark clouds to right and left but beautifully lit cloud formations in the centre with streams of sunlight beaming down through them - this always reminds me of those ancient paintings in which the Hand of God is seen to appear from the Heavens! And those beautiful reflections on the nearby waves.

Kind Regards,

P.S. Oh, how I wish you would allow us to see your exif data - I'd just love to see details of shutter speed, aperture and ISO here - perhaps I'm a bit "anorakish", but I do find that sort of stuff really interesting and I do think that it helps me with my own photography too.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 PM
TE Junior Member
Post To tyro: Stormy Sunset over Lundy

Hello John,thanks for your comprehensive and kind critique,I`ve just taken a look at the settings I was using. I always shoot in RAW and make most adjustments there in CS5 before fine tuning in PS.
As it was getting dark the ISO was set at 400,exposure was 1/400 at f11,as I took a reading from the sky,which is why the ground is under exposed.
Hope this may help in some way.
Best regards Les.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM
TE Expert
Default Settings & Exif data....

Thank you, Les, for that quick reply.

Like yourself, I tend to shoot in RAW most of the time (actually RAW + JPEG so that I can quickly review pictures in JPEG before working on them in RAW) and I use Photoshop Elements 9 for the RAW editing and conversion and then play around with cropping, etc in Elements 9 too. That does seem to preserve exif data and I should have thought that the top-notch CS5 would have done that too.

I do sometimes use Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Professional) which came with my camera to o the RAW conversion and that does tend to lose the exif data.

Anyway, it was interesting to read about your settings for this picture - shooting into the sun can be very confusion for camera and photographer alike!

Kind Regards,

lundy, stormy, sunset