Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Forum Feedback and Support

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 AM
TE Expert

Default Check pinterest for your images

A couple of people have asked how to check pinterest for their images

Follow the link and then under search type 'Namibia' (or whichever country you are interested in). I have not yet found out how to search directly by name.

http://pinterest.com/source/trekearth.com/

I was horrified to note that just one of my shots had been pinned and re-pinned (no credits given) 86 times!

The following link has information about how you can have Pinterest remove your images. I have not tried yet but fully intend doing so.

http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2012...my-pinned.html

I ask the admin/owners/moderators to allow pinning from TE to only be allowed on an opt-in or opt-out basis

Rosemary
Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 AM
TE Expert

Default Opt in or out

After doing a little more research, I have discovered that an opt in or opt out option is available from Pinterest, the TE admin people just need to add it the TE site.
Can this opt in opt out option be looked at please? Can someone in the big black hole behind the scenes of TE actually respond to this ?

For more reasons not to allow you work on Pinterest follow this link

http://artists-bill-of-rights.org/ne...-this-project/
Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Do keep in mind that even if the Pinterest button was not on TE, people can still pin your images. All it is is a shortcut. Anything shared anywhere on the Internet can be Pinned, and TE is a photo-sharing site.

That said, I will see if such an option can be added!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:14 PM
TE Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Do keep in mind that even if the Pinterest button was not on TE, people can still pin your images. All it is is a shortcut. Anything shared anywhere on the Internet can be Pinned, and TE is a photo-sharing site.
We do keep it in mind, but I, too, very much dislike the idea of the Pinterest button on TrekEarth!

I've just found one of my recent photos pinned on Pinterest without my permission. (Thanks Rosemary!)
I've already sent them a request about the removal of my photo. Let's see what happens...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM
TE Expert

Unhappy Open Invitation

The short cut buttons are an open invitation for people to pin copyrighted work.

The Terms and Condition of TE state as follows:

Content on the Site
The material on this Site is protected by copyright, trademark, and other applicable laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way any material from the Site, including but not limited to text, audio, video, code and software. During your visit, however, you may download material displayed on the Site for non-commercial, personal use only (provided that you also retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained on the materials)

Is pinning onto another website classed as 'personal use'?

You are aware that from Pinterest images are re-pinned I assume? Just one of my shots has been re-pinned 86 times with no credits given or links back to TE.

I am at a loss about the double standards exhibited by TE -. Recently a member had his account closed because he posted images which he claimed where his own, they were in fact lifted from other websites. But here we are openly inviting people to take copyrighted work.

I assume you are also aware that Pinterest strips all the metadata from image files and therefore embedded copyrights are removed.

I agree we are a group of people who come together to share a love of photography and travel. My understanding when I became a member was that I would join a community of people with similar interests and objectives, sharing ideas, technical and artistic abilities and encouragement. I did not think that the sharing would mean letting any Tom Dick or Harry just help themselves to my work without even a 'may I?' or ' thank you'

I feel that members deserve to be kept in the loop as the commercial aspects of the site are developed. It is obvious that revenue gained through hits on the site is important to the owners and I guess that the needs and requirements of members are secondary. We hear quickly enough about rules regarding things like HDR, posting Christmas wishes etc. but precious little is communicated wrt short cut buttons etc.

I feel very disappointed in what I saw a quality site, where I could join like-minded people, descending into yet another commercially driven enterprise where we, the members, provide the 'fodder' to keep it running.

The signature below is what I will be adding to my notes from now on

Last edited by SnapRJW; 05-17-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Administrator

I see your points.

The legalities of Pinterest, Facebook, etc. are far from settled. Pinning a photo provides a link all the way back to TrekEarth, if you click through the photo, so there is no danger of the provenance of the photo being lost. The law will have to decide if reposting an image while maintaining this link-back constitutes theft of the image or copyright infringement.

I believe Pinterest will remove photos from their site if they are alerted by the copyright holder, so if that is your concern you can remedy it that way.

Because Pinterest is very new, and photo sharing via Facebook is still new, our view of how TrekEarth photos could be used there is still evolving as well. As yet, there has been only a very small number of members who have expressed any concern over this type of image sharing.

We are looking into making the Pinterest shortcut user-selectable, as I said. As the TrekEarth community continues to explore this new way to share images, we expect to keep getting feedback and adjust the site accordingly.

The TrekEarth community is and has always come first. We're listening. For the moment, those who are concerned about Pinterest/Facebook sharing are very much in the minority. If that changes, we will certainly revisit our policy toward these sites.

If you have other concerns, I am always open to hear them.

best,

Paul
Community manager
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Administrator

In addition, when the Pinterest button is used from TE, there IS both a text link back to TE and the photo link back to TE that leads DIRECTLY back to the original photo here. It's actually an even BETTER attribution than you might see if someone pinned your photo WITHOUT using the TE Pinterest shortcut.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:00 PM
TE Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
In addition, when the Pinterest button is used from TE, there IS both a text link back to TE and the photo link back to TE that leads DIRECTLY back to the original photo here. It's actually an even BETTER attribution than you might see if someone pinned your photo WITHOUT using the TE Pinterest shortcut.
So what?
Linking the image back to TE?

My photo which they stole and pinned without my permission does provide a link to TrekEarth - but not to the photo itself!
http://pinterest.com/pin/41236152808429159/

if you click on the photo the link takes you to the whole page of photos - many of which are mine!
see??
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...eden/page9.htm
Why should I give them all my photos in one go as a gift?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 PM
TE Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapRJW View Post
The short cut buttons are an open invitation for people to pin copyrighted work.
Agreed.

Quote:
Is pinning onto another website classed as 'personal use'?
Perhaps
It depends on whose point of view it is...

Quote:
The signature below is what I will be adding to my notes from now on
I should think of a similar signature, perhaps...

--------------------
PS. I've sent an email to the Pintrest support team, and they've already responded (at least!): 'We received the email you sent to support@pinterest.com and will review it as soon as possible."

Last edited by fanni; 05-17-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanni View Post
So what?
Linking the image back to TE?

My photo which they stole and pinned without my permission does provide a link to TrekEarth - but not to the photo itself!
http://pinterest.com/pin/41236152808429159/

if you click on the photo the link takes you to the whole page of photos - many of which are mine!
see??
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...eden/page9.htm
Why should I give them all my photos in one go as a gift?
This photo was not pinned using the TE Pinterest shortcut; if it had been, it would link back to your exact photograph, so everyone would know it is yours. Whoever posted that must have used their own "pin it" button.

There is no way to stop Pinning from occurring. We can complain that the buttons make it easier -- but they have the dual function of ensuring that your photos are properly linked back to their source here at TE! Without that, people would come here, copy and paste your photo, and use it without attribution altogether.

Again, this process is evolving and new. I think it's worth it to wait and see how the legalities settle before reacting too much. But if there is a TE Community outcry, we'll change.

Paul