Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 05-23-2005, 10:01 AM
TE Expert

Default clutter

Im no expert photographer, just an amateur, but to me all these golden ratios and rules of thirds are simply clutter. Photography isnt a science, there are no hard rules to photo composition. Its subjective. I always shoot on instinct, composing a photo according to what looks best to me. What looks good to me may not look good to others but thats the risk we take when we compose a photo in one way or another. These rules try to reduce the subjective art of photography into some mechanical science devoid of the photographer's personal touch.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: clutter

hi rafal, thanks for your input. the topic here was not really how good or bad the rules are, to use or not to use. it was to discuss about the historical reasons behind these rules.

but don't you find interesting the fact a picture composed in a certain way can please a much larger audience (that is unaware of any rules at all) or that many pictures composed by instinct/what-looks-good-to-you end up following some of the so called "rules"?

anton
Old 05-25-2005, 03:41 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: clutter

Im not even aware of the ruls when I shoot. I wonder how many of my photos follow the rules. Never thought about it when shooting.