Loosing quality of pictures when converting to JPEGs for TE

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm new to TE and am unsatisfied with my few uploads. I know that the image must be a JPEG to upload, and that you lose quality converting it, but it seems like my pictures are loosing all of their color and contrast and etc. Everyone else seems to be uploading great looking JPEGS, is there something that I don't know? How can convert my pics from DNGs to JPEGS to post on TE w/o loosing so much quality?
  • Loosing quality of pictures when converting to JPEGs for TE
    Hi, you may find this thread useful. cheers, Steve

http://www.trekearth.com/read.php?f=1&t=730816&m=1006622&tt=flat
  • Re: Loosing quality of pictures when converting to JPEGs for
    Thanks so much! Looks like this will do the trick, can't wait to try it out!
    nothing to do with the topic, but I am wondering why so many people, both native and non-native English speakers, make the same mistake:
    loosing is not the same as losing.
    Loosing is coming from the verb to loose (opposite of tight)
    Losing is coming from the verb to lose (to lose photo quality)

Sorry Mark, I do not mean it personal, it is a very general mistake, and too common, that just makes me wonder....

cheers
    Jorge
    Hello Jorge,
    as a linguist and a tutor of English with a 16 years' experience, I must say that I have to correct this mistake so often that I have almost stopped paying attention to it LOL
    The explanation is simple: people write this word just as they hear it (so this is a phonetics aspect/reason) - "oo" is pronounced as [u] whereas "o" so often sounds like [o] or [ou] ( like in "lost", "cost", "post", "cold", etc) so it seems (although mistakenly) absolutely illogical to write "o" instead of the correct "oo" :)
    Regards,
    Elena
    PS. sorry I can't insert the correct transcription symbols here, but I guess you see what I mean :)
  • Loosing quality of pictures when converting to JPEGs for TE
    Hello,

Were your pictures RAW? If they were, you have to change the color from Adobe RGB to sRGB before starting the RAW processing and converting them into JPG. If you do that, you wont loose any quality. In fact, the quality loss is actually not a quality loss, but a difference in color.

Bye

Nuno
    Hi Elena,

So true. Also:
    it's / its
    they're / there / their
    you're / your
    then / than

Those are the ones that immediately came to mind.

But I'd have to admit that writing "it's" instead of "its" does have logic to it - i.e., adding apostrophe + s to make it possessive.

Regards,
    Lamberto
    I see also awful spelling mistakes in my own mother language as well.... what is going on with proper reading and spelling in schools around the world? .. even though itís now even easier using MS Word.

Check a book called "Eats, shoots and leaves"
    I'm having some quality problems too. I don't have a raw camera, my Sony DSC-H9 allows me to only shoot in JPEG. When I reduce my image size to within this site's size constraints, my image looks pixelated in PhotoShop. What am I doing wrong? I'm a new photographer and I'm eager to learn.
  • Re: converting to JPEGs for TE
    hello,
    With photoshop CS3:
    _sizing to 800x600 for instance.
    _Filter/strength/optimized clearness,( base, gain:100%, radius 1 pixel, Remove: Gaussian blur)
    _ edition/Extenuation, opacity 35 in manual mode.
    Good evening
    Cordially
    JoŽl