To annjackman: Missing you.........! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great annjackman 2015-05-26 1:52

Hello John,
Just back from 4 days in the I.O.M. We walked 30 miles in 3.5 days and I didn't take a camera! This photo is so typically you! A wonderful opportunity that you made the most of. Immaculate exposure, sharpness and framing. This would do very well in competitions I think.
Love it!
Best wishes, Ann

Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 AM
TE Expert

Default To annjackman: Missing you.........!

Hi Ann,

Well, we've been away for a week in Menorca then a few days in London - and you've been off to the Isle of Man - so I've been missing you! But, oh dear, how could you ever spend three days walking and not take a camera with you? Did you not even have Dave's little compact (?Canon G12) with you? No pictures of the oldest parliament in the World or of the Laxey Wheel or the little trains?

Thank you for your kind words about this one - London really has endless opportunities for photography - I definitely missed out on a lot of good shots (Claude would be in his element with "people pictures") but this one was probably the best of all that I took there. Yep, that's an idea - it might just be one to think of putting in for a competition when the club opens for the next season.

Incidentally, when we were on our photographic holiday in Menorca (on which Yvonne also came as a "photographer" and not a "non-participant" - she really enjoyed the challenge of taking pictures and did very well), we met a lovely couple, Martin and Lesley Rowe. Martin, originally a biochemist, has just retired from being a professor of oncological research in Birmingham - do you know him? I believe he latterly studied cancers of viral aetiology.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:23 AM
TE Junior Member

Default I.o.m

Five of us were just exploring ready for a weeks holiday that we are organising for this time next year (15 of us). So the pace will be slightly slower then and I will be taking more baggage. I couldn't fit my large camera in. I am considering getting a smaller additional camera for walking with. The Laxey wheel and the trains are superb. We bought a GoExpore travel card and went everywhere on the steam trains, trams, buses and horse tram - great value for money.
Best wishes, Ann
Old 05-26-2015, 12:59 PM
TE Expert

Default Comapct cameras............

Hi Ann,

Ah, ha, so you're going on a real expedition to the I.o.M next year? Sounds very nice.

Yes, a little compact camera to slip more easily into your bag or pockets sounds like a good idea. I remember showing you and Dave the Canon EOS M which I bought on the advice of our friend, Jasmine (Tigerlily) - it gives fabulous image quality and is a steal at Argos, still only £199.99 (it was around £800 when it first came out). See here. Canon have brought out a new version, the EOS M3, just a month or so ago and it's £650 but the old version will do me just fine for my walks. Biggest disadvantage of all is that it doesn't have a viewfinder and that's a real problem when it's sunny. Also, it's maybe slightly bigger than you're looking for - small but definitely not pocket sized.

Did you know Martin Rowe?

Kind Regards,

John.