To pboehringer: Ranting - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To pboehringer: Ranting

Hi, Peter.
I wasn't ranting at all nor slashing RAW for that matter, simply expressing an opinion. I'm not blind and I see the amount of people who can work in RAW and the amount who can't. Most CAN'T and it shows. And that ininfluent slight magenta cast is a duckwalk that could be taken care of in JEPG too, easy as pie. The other thing is : maybe not all of us are willing and/or in the position to squander thousands and thousands of dollars on hyper-powered computers, high-tech RAW programs and mega-lenses. I mean, we all do what we can, it's ONLY photography. No man overboard, there's more in life...
Have a good day,
F.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To pboehringer: Ranting

Dear Fulvio,
relaaaax - tranquiiilo - alles mit der Ruhe!!! I didn't mean it that way. Can't you see my little smile in my critique? I was just pulling your leg and I had read your exchange with Linda. It was rather funny and I had to laugh hard. We all, the more 'serious' TE members are photography enthusiasts but not professionals although we try to 'behave' like pros. It is a nice play!
Acutally I agree completely with all your points. When I did the switch from RAW to JPEG it was like hitting a wall. I'm 'rawing' know for 2 years and still feel that hitting the wall ... and yes a better PC would be a nice thing, but Santa didn't listen to me last Christmas and I believe after my 'ranting' critique it won't be next Christmas either ...
By the way, I know that you're saving these extra pennies for your next US trip. Are you really coming to CA? I would love to meet you at some nice iconic place!
Peter
Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi, buddy. Don't you worry about nothing! Words on internet have unfortunately no face and that can sometimes start an issue. That's NEVER been the case here, I didn't mean anything that might have sounded harsh either.
As for RAW, although I haven't posted anything yet, I've been experimenting for quite a while without getting (so far) where I would like to be. It's a totally different ball game than working on JEPGs, but... we'll get there, little by little. I also need a way more powerful iMac than I got now to handle them RAW files, plus Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Lightroom II. And with this goddamn financial crisis affecting us, I really can't say when I'll be able to afford it all.

California : I'll be there and we'll meet, don't worry. I'll let you know plenty in advance. My brother and I plan to set our headquarters in Mariposa or something, for 4 or 5 consecutive days. From there on we can daily drive for hikes in Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite. After which we'll move onto the Eastern Sierras, doing Mono Lake and Bodie along the way and planning to stay in Bishop for another couple days. So : we'll meet! We LOVE hiking, you too, it's gonna be FUN!
So, this is pretty much our upcoming August schedule :

2 - Amsterdam - Las Vegas
3 - Las Vegas - Williams - Grand Canyon South Rim
4 - Sedona, Tuzigoot, Montezuma Castle, Jerome and surroundings
5 - Grand Canyon - Bright Angel Trail, Colorado River
6 - Williams - San Diego
7 - San Diego
8 - San Diego
9 - San Diego - Santa Monica ( Malibu + L.A.)
10 - Santa Monica (Malibu + L.A.)
11 - Santa Monica - Big Sur - Monterrey
12 - Monterrey - San Francisco (motel north of SF)
13 - San Francisco, Point Reyes and surroundings
14 - San Francisco, Point Reyes and surroundings
15 - San Francisco - Mariposa
16 - Mariposa - Sequoia National Park - Kings Canyon
17 - Mariposa - Yosemite - El Capitan - Merced River
18 - Mariposa - Yosemite - Glacier Point
19 - Mariposa - Yosemite - Tuolumne Meadows
20 - Mariposa - Mono Lake, Bodie, Bishop
21 - Bishop - North Lake
22 - Bishop - South Lake
23 - Bishop - Death Valley - Las Vegas
24 - Las Vegas - waste our last money on the slots
25 - Departure

Have a great day, Peter. I'll see ya soon. I've seen your latest post but I've been running out of green medals for two consecutive days and although I know they are not important, if I see stuff I like I like also to award it properly. First thing in the morning, European time.
Cheers,
Fulvio.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks for the dates. It will help me to make my schedule and I will consider taking the week 08/16-22 off.
From Mariposa to Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon it is an awful looooooong drive. I recommend you to stay for this places at Three Rivers.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:00 PM
TE Senior Member

Cool! We'll check out Three Rivers too, thanks! Mariposa is just sort of trying to find a sort of half-way solution for headquarters, like we wanna be close to Yosemite where we'll spend most of the time (and way closer for crossing over into the Eastern Sierras later on) but also in the position to pay at least a day visit to Sequoia and King's Canyon. My brother's never been there. I've been plenty times in the neighborhood, with my buddy Jeff from San Diego. We usually stayed in Visalia, than camped at Lodgepole before driving down into Fresno and up again to Yosemite.
We'll think of something. I love the road, mileage doesn't scare me nor my brother, on the contrary.
Cheers,
F.