To pboehringer: Right you are - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great pboehringer 2009-05-20 22:56

Clark,
I only have a ND grad Hard-step 3-stop and a ND Soft-step 3-stop and I did already several playing around to get different forms of blending. It certainly works fine as you experienced yourself but I also have to say that having additionally the reverse would also be something nice.
I am little bit disappointed with this image, Clark. It is too soft and it is a shame that you didn't PP this more. The colors are good to get started to make something extraordinary out of it. The image has potentials! Is the original RAW or did you shoot JPEG? If it is RAW you shold be scalpelled for not doing more then just the white balance.
Peter

Old 05-21-2009, 03:39 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To pboehringer: Right you are

Hi Peter:

Glad to have you back. I can understand your chagrin with the image. I think for my own purposes I will PP it a bit more, but my point in sharing this was more as an illustration of the reverse grad concept--I think what I should have done was taken a picture using a grad normally, as that would have highlighted how much better the reverse grad works. hahaha...spoken like a doctor--I guess I should be scalpelled, as it was RAW. But I stand by my decision to post it as is. I'm trying to get past using Photoshop to compensate for my lack of skill, and although this could have been much better with some post-processing, it showed me how far I've come in the last couple years, surprisingly enough. I could never have pulled off an exposure like this two years ago, flawed though this one is.

Anyway, I appreciate a thoughtful critique, and I know you meant no harm. Perhaps I'll do a little PP eventually and do a repost. We'll see how the reverse grad technique works for me in the UK and Ireland--two days till I head there. Those images I will definitely be doing PP on!

Clark
Old 05-22-2009, 04:54 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To pboehringer: Right you are

Clark,
After reasding you replay I had to go back and re-read my own note. Hey, I didn't mean it in any bad or perjorative manner. What I tried to say is that you are experienced and good enough to make somehting better compared to what you did here. That is all and I really mean that you are good enough to make something better out of this shot. It really has a tremendous potential. The composition and the colors are good enough to allow some PP investment.
If you're shooting RAW that is exactly your goal. To go back to the digital darkroom and work on it. If you don't want to do it just shoot JPEG and you will be fine. I know that you know all that.
Have a lot of fun in UK and Ireland and keep your camera on RAW! ;-)
Peter
Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To pboehringer: Right you are

Hi Peter:

No worries. I wasn't offended at all--you give critiques to be useful, not to be offensive, and it was a useful critique. I also didn't mean to sound like I'm suddenly opposed to PP. What I am trying to do though is limit the amount of PP I need to do. In this case, it could definitely use a bit more though, so maybe I'll eventually do a repost, but I still don't regret posting it as is. :)

It's so difficult to communicate properly via the internet. No wonder so many people claim to be lonely--face to face communication is so much more rewarding! (But of course, not always possible). Have a great weekend, and I'll be back in three weeks.

Clark