Useful notes or ignored notes - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Useful notes or ignored notes

I personally read the notes of every photo I critique or comment, and IF I find them interesting then I click the "useful" button. I think that an intelligent note helps to appreciate better the photo, its context and the intentions of the author.

All along these two years I'm in TE I have observed though that too many people don't read either my notes or those of many friends I know, and yet they do click the "useful" bottom just as an act of courtesy. Quite the opposite of what they do with you Andre!

Anyway we must remember that a site like TE is done also for the general pubblic usage, and therefore the notes are surely read by non-members who search the web for information about a location. Actually that's the way I discovered TE: I wanted to see photos of some Greek Islands and a research with Google brought me to TE.

So Andre don't be discuraged! Just go on writing your interesting note, someone will thank you silently for that! (:-)

ciao,
Donato
Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM
TE Expert

To Pasternak

"Sometimes, when somebody wants to draw your attention to his gallery, he marks your note useful but doesn't leave a critique! Then (I have checked it, just for fun), if you go and critique his shot, he immediately returns to yours and leaves a critique!"

Yes, I think you are right! I have observed the same behaviour myself several times, and even if I could not be 100% sure, knowing the persons who did that trick I suspected their intentions.
Thank you for comfirming it.

Donato
Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 PM
TE Expert

So far it seems everyone thinks it is good to write note. To fulfil the aim of this site I think a note is essential. Sometimes I might spend more time on the note than processing the image. If needing to do more research I use Wikipedia as little as possible, prefering the 'tourist' sites, and never cut & paste, which I think is insulting to the 'audience' as well as being against copyright laws. The people who quote Ansel Adams (I think) saying that the image should tell the story are either not conversant with TE's TOS or are making an excuse to be lazy.
The other part of your question about usefulness ..... I almost always tick the useful button for a well written note and do read them. The obvious cut & paste notes I tend not to read, as soon as it becomes obvious that is what has been done. I think you are right André, that many people do not read the notes and even ask questions in their critique that prove that.
Alexander and Donato have discovered an odd ruse. What strange behaviour!
Kath
Old 12-05-2009, 01:22 AM
TE Expert

to Andre

Mark my word very carefully, I have been tagging you since early 2008. And I read every single word in your notes. Let me tell you this in no uncertain terms. Not just the photos, not just the notes. It is a combination of both. The photos tell me what you saw and what you shot, but the notes tell me what you think and reaction after the shot is taken.

Neither can go single, both must be married to each other to make your post interesting. Got that?

So keep doing it, here or elsewhere on other sites.

Crazy one from Borneo
tfs, bill
Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 AM
TE Expert

Andre, one more thing, you dont want to care about what a cuckoo thinks of your title. How many think the same like him, if all, then you have a problem.

This link on TL is a good one, ask him to read it.

<a href="http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-handle-unwanted-critique-of-your-photography" target=_blank> How to handle unwanted critique of your photography</a>. But please, not that I am saying his critique is UNWANTED. I can take a bad critique and learn from it too, if I need to.

Ciao, bill
Old 12-05-2009, 12:39 PM
TE Expert

Pas le courage de lire toutes les réponses ..en anglais, c'est trop dur pour moi. Juste une remarque : surtout ne nous prive pas de tes notes et de tes commentaires originaux et qui font notre bonheur à chaque fois.
Si la note m'apporte un renseignement intéressant sur le lieu de prise de vue ou sur la démarche du photographe je clique sur "useful". Dans mes notes, j'essaye de situer l'endroit ou l'histoire du lieu que j'ai photographié et d'apporter, s'il y a lieu, des précisions sur la façon dont j'ai pris la photo. J'avoue que je m'aide souvent des informations données par les offices de tourisme ou autres sources. J'ai constaté quand même que peu de personnes lisaient effectivement les notes et ouvraient les WS proposés
Old 12-05-2009, 12:50 PM
TE Expert

One of the strongest things about TE is that an upload consists of three elements: picture, title and note. For me, all three are important.

NOTES
Yes, 'blind' copy and paste of Wikipedia is rather superfluous, especially if the picture is about a very well-known sight. When I do copy and paste (for one thing, it might be easier when writing in a foreign language), it is never without some editing. And even then, there's always a personal touch to it. That's also what I like about notes, that combination of selected background info and something personal.

And, if people read my notes and indicate this through the 'USEFUL' button, that's something I really appreciate.

TITLES
I think a good title strikes a chord and opens up the picture. On the other hand, if someone feels such a 'strong' title, stands in the way of his/her 'open' view of his/her picture, that's fine by me. Same same, if he/she wants to call his picture just after the location. I don't really see that as a reason for cuckoo-calling.

Benny
Old 12-05-2009, 01:31 PM
TE Expert

Personnally I think a note is a must. It doesn't have to be long and it should not be a copy paste from Wikipedia or other sources. I read the notes and I use the useful button. I do not use it for copied notes because I can look it up myself - and sometimes -do. I don't think I posted a photo whithout a note. I sometime notice that people consider a note useful but do not seem to have read it.
John
Old 12-05-2009, 01:46 PM
TE Senior Member

Very interesting topic. Thank you for it Andre.
Titles are important! Often I go to see a movie not because there's Pacino, De Niro or or Sharon but just because I liked the title.
Notes are important too in my opinion, even if they were copy/pasted from Wikipedia or someother site because this shows that the author somehow is commited to TrekEarth motto and not just to make publicity of his/her work. However I admit that sometimes I forgot to click the button but sometimes I even say in my comment: "Great note" to reenforce that it was read and appreciated.
Also critiques have that feature and sometimes, when it applies, I mark them as useful.

A nice weekend to all of you and sorry for my poor english.
Paulo
Also critiques have those buttons and I sometimes use them to
Old 12-05-2009, 01:53 PM
TE Junior Member

I think notes are integral part of the post on this site since the objective is to learn about the world. I believe the viewer needs some context to relate to the image and to formulate their thoughts toward a quality critique. Someone once said "...a picture is worth a thousand words..." that may be so, but there needs to be some sort of setup or context for those thousand words. Have you ever been to a museum to view images and not see some form of statement about each image you are viewing? Sometimes the statement is facts about the image and other times it is a statement of time and place and a relationship to the artists body of work.

For me, if an image is not accompanied by a Photographers Note I will not comment on it. If the note consists of song lyrics, a poem, or other non-descriptive text I will not mark the note useful and in many cases not even comment on the image. There is no excuse not to write a note - some may complain about their English skills etc., there are many translators on the Internet so writing in your native tongue is not an issue in my eyes. If the image is worth reviewing then the note is worth reading even if I have to download a translator. I use BabbleFish and it handles most languages with ease.

John