Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-23-2005, 04:45 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Trekearth Book

Why does Adam have to get involved?
--------------------------------

maybe you answered me, i am not sure. I dunno, i don't care if Adam is let off, just normal thinking on my part that if I have something i own, ort manage or is in my name, I feel a responsibility for anything derived from it, or done in its name.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:00 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: How about starting smaller?

Have features on photographers, interviews, do some feature galleries on themes of all kinds?
-------------------
that seems a better idea. A book is a major undertaking, if we want something to be proud of, I mean end product (distribution too), not just pictures in it.

Then, who will be proud of it? the guys who have shots in it, not the dozens who participate evryday and will get passed over. i think we have to look at who answered this thread with interest. Just over 10 or so. There are 1000s of members, at least 1 or 200 posting a shot within 2 to 3 days. they did not show any interest. I think I know why ;-)... (see start of paragraph)
Old 06-23-2005, 05:05 AM
TE Expert

Just over 10 or so.
-------------------------
9, actually.....
Old 06-24-2005, 01:43 AM
TE Expert

well, i must agree that the online version can be easier but them what, we're online already... do you want to just sum up the better ones along with some notes?

The printed copie is quite a project, hard indeed, do we have the capability? hell yes.... and in the end the own satisfaction will certanly overcome the many hours spent!

Some subjects already mentioned before:
- Quality of photos???? ahahah TE has better photos than most of the photograpy books i've seen. Yesterday i've saw a book for 45€ of nightshots from lisbon... crap... give me a good camera and i'll do the same within days (LOL, and my nightshots sucks...)
- Quantity... well, there's no need to talk about this
- Money... yes it will be expensive... along with photos we have to donate some money
- Target audience... as i've read before the target audience will be us and our family, so be it! at least we can donate some funds to some association, and them, the second edition will be sold to some of our friends also, and the 3rd edition to friends of our friends and them to the generall public
- Recognition... CRAP CRAP CRAP... Henri Besson was certanly not know until he start to publish is work right? or did he born a megastar? i don't know many of the photographers that publish some books... i buy the photos not the photographer

Sorry for this testment... i've been away from the discussion for some time

Mario
Old 06-25-2005, 03:14 PM
TE Expert

Default As I promised to come back on Saturday

I am here.

Ok let us go point by point.

Feasibility
The book project is feasible. I am sure we can do it. We need mainly:
- Good pictures. We have.
- A leader of the project. We do not have.
- Money. Let us say we do have.
- Good writers. We have!.
- Time.
- A support on publishing. We can get, I am sure someone here can find out, how can we publish them. Even I can find out prices here, maybe here it would be cheaper to print the book than in Europe at good quality also.

- A goal? The sole intention of publishing something for vanity, to aid someone, etc etc is ok. We do not have to save the world with our book. We just need the desire to do it and decision.
There is no need to have a specific reason, we might just do it because we just want to do it...we human beings are difficult to be understood...aren`t we?

- A definition of what pictures to be included. I suggest to use the same principles as the Trieste Exhibition. Pictures selected from all over the world according the time zones. Number of pictures per page, etc etc.

- Does this has to be done with Trekearth? Not neccesarily, but why not? I think this should not steal any credit from Adam, in fact I think this would help the site to extend its scope by offering a book hopefully on a yearly basis.

- I guess Adam should be the administrator and leader of the project. He has showed to be a strong hand when required and these things require a firm leader.

- People would get upset if not selected for the book? YES, this is totally normal and it WILL ALWAYS happen.
But the Trieste exhibition was carried out anyway. And the upset people? There is no way to make everyone happy. If you find a method to do that please let me know!!!

- We can look for sponsors, the same ones already advertize at Trekearth page.

- We can have also a electronic version in pdf format that can be downloaded by paying a certain amount.

- We can do many things, but first we need to organize ourselves. I personally would be more than happy to help. These kind of projects will boost your skills on a personal level. I do not see a problem here. Many would like to join.

- Many TE members do not participate at this forum, but if we invite them I am sure they will join this project.

K.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:22 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Trekearth Book

Fil, there are many many reasons why a schmoe would part with hard cash for pictures by unknown photographers. The first, and most obvious answer is that most ordinary civilians don't know (or give a damn) who takes the pictures that fills their (gorgeous coffee) table books (i'm thinking of the last two NG books and the lONEly Planet book specifially, but their are many examples of this). The fact is people will buy books of good pictures, whether or not they know, or care, who made them. There is even the Phaidon book 'Anonymous' that I can cite as precedent. It is a celebration of photographs taken by unkown photographers which weighs in at £19.95 (US$45) and was fantastically successful last christmas.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:30 AM
TE Expert

Default come on guys!

wouldn`t you be challenged to be part of such international project?

Is there already a book made by so many writers and photographers from all over the planet earth?

K.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:50 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: As I promised to come back on Saturday

I am prepared to help in any way I can.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:28 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: come on guys!

right Cesar
but maybe a narrow target or a theme would be usefull for help in the third world then photographers can offer their photos related to the theme and the editor will decide for the most usefull, not a question of a nice empty photoalbum then but a well targetted project with sensefull photos.
Tsunami call proved that it can be done but here it was relate to one moment already forgotten by the most, it should work on longer term like f.i. child labour in the world.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:38 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: As I promised to come back on Saturday

Thanks Morgan, I will by myself check here the prices of a publication.

Jose Elias, I do not think you are crazy at all!
Your ideas are nice.

Henk
Yes we can do many things, but at first we need to make a brainstorm to write down some of them. This is not a short term project, it would take months to organize and to do something, but who is in a rush?
I believe we can do something alltogether even though we are distributed all over the world.

K.