WOW I'VE SEEN THE NEW SITE!! - here are my comments - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 06:30 PM
TE Newbie

Default WOW I'VE SEEN THE NEW SITE!! - here are my comments

Hi TE teams,

Just seen the new layout, and what an improvement!!

I have some constructive comments:

- Biggest thing I notice, loading time between photos is too long (longer than the old version). The snappier the better.
- On the photo thumbnail, I dont like the play icon beside the country name. I would remove it and make the country name clickable because it doesn't add anything. Also the photographer name and star and score all look different colors, too busy.
- Color of the map is horrible. Try subtler colors. I like the photo location links as part of the map area.
- Basically I see that this new site offers richer features but at the same time is heavier to run. Be careful of not transforming this site into a behemoth that while trying to do many more tasks, you end up leaving the good old things that made the site great to begin with.
- However, design looks great, esp. the logo. The color choice for the background feels better.

Some improvement that I can see:
- It would be nice if the photo is located higher on the page, so viewing on 1440x900 screen one does not have to scroll down on each pictures that shows
- Maybe make the photo viewing page more 'spiritual', what I mean is we photographer like our photos too much we want them on a very controlled background - no clutters. For example, flickr's slideshow or the lightbox function in wordpress.
- Also it would be nice if the next photo and the previous photo button always stay at the same spot regardless of the photo size/orientation. This make it easier to do repetitive clicking.
- You guys need a t-shirt with TE logo we can get!

That's what I have for the first viewing of TE's new layout. Good job on trying to make the site better for everyone. I'm all with you, guys!!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: WOW I'VE SEEN THE NEW SITE!! - here are my comments

Pardon me for asking, are you sponsored by those who thought up this horrific mess? I don't think you've been around for long... Everything was perfectly clear and worked perfectly well FOR YEARS before somebody decided to turn it into ONE BIG COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE THAT DOESN"T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH PHOTOGRAPHY. This is pure CRAP! Gimme a break with those T-shirts, for chrissakes...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: WOW I'VE SEEN THE NEW SITE!! - here are my comments

I agree, Fulvio. I think it stinks.

Farah
Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 PM
TE Expert

Default my comments, too...

Fulvio, I absolutely agree with what you said. I couldn't say better!

Is this site about photography or about what?... In the old version everything was pretty clear and could be easily found, and it was the photos which I saw first of all, not what surrounds them now! How ofetn "the best thig is the enemy of the good thing"!
Why didn't they just remove or modify some features (like assigning points/no points) etc?

Besides, I find this font too small and can hardly read it (for example, in Notes)!... what about others who have poor eyesight? of course I know that I can change some settings in the browser, like making it show the site at 200%.. but this makes everything even worse! :(
Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: my comments, too...

Hahaha, I was also thinking about a sponsor contract when I saw this thread on the forum.

Just to make it clear: THE NEW SITE IS A SLOW, BUGGY, COMMERCIAL MESS!!

In case someone might have doubts about my ideas about this 'new' 'website'...

Dennis
Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Farah & Fanni,
I'm simply and totally DISGUSTED... On top of being extremely awkward to use, THIS TrekEarth is not even a parody of its former self, this is a goddamn TRAVEL AGENCY ONLINE!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Banned

Yep ! ye all...
What about a trek to Zanskar-Ladhak ? I'm taking 10% :-).
Start taking some exercise, right now.! And wear your TEshirts!

Where's the shop ?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 PM
TE Expert

Hi Fulvio,
many of us members knew what sort of design it will be (the site existed as a parallel Beta version), and many of us left their comments... but somehow these comments and suggestions were not taken into account by the admins (or whoever created this version). So why did they ask us?..

I am an artist, and from an artist's point of view, this is an awful design, a total mess,.. and yes, looks like a huge project of a travel agency.

I wonder IF something would change for the better if we would pay for using this site (being its members)? How much would the membership fee be? WOULD it change anything? I am not too positive about this, unfortunately...

It's all not only about advertisements (they CAN be removed by special programs, and you will never see them - like I never see any of them!) but it is a question of DESIGN! Design should be "comfortable" for eyes... so that we won't waste a lot of time trying to find what and whom we need! for many of us Time matters a lot, especially for those who are very busy and have little time to spare.

I am thinking of moving to TrekLens, but I am not sure it will exist long. Maybe it, too, is in for suchlike "version"?.... it's just a matter of time?
TOO bad, indeed.. I have made friends here for the past year, and I liked it here a lot. I enjoyed looking and critiquing photos. Now it seems that "all good things go eventually".
:(
Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

I wonder why IB asked us for feedback on the beta, no feedback has been implemented and now we get that mess, at this stage I want the old TE back !!!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Banned

Yes, JP that is very disappointing. Many remarks and suggestions being made in beta-test, that all come up here during the last hour... Simple matters of easy to use etc. Basic stuff, that does not seem to have been taken care of. This works like a pre-beta version ! I also want the old one back !!!

The way the photographs are displayed is a shame, showing a lack of taste I cannot start to describe. It looks like no one of those having designed it knows anything about photography. Maybe about puzzles ?