To Mondaychild: Shoe cleaning and wading - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Mondaychild 2007-06-23 6:32

Hi Marjolein,

a very attractive photo! So many different strong colors. It looks a bit abstract to me ... even though it´s something very real!

Perhaps they wear these kind of slippers because it´s rather dusty down there ... and these shoes are easy to wash and clean.

You could have made a strong monochrome (black?) frame around it - a contrast to all the colorful shoes - but it´s also good the way it is.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:15 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Mondaychild: Shoe cleaning and wading

Hi Gisi,

It does look a bit abstract - intentionally! It's also the first now (just added) in my personal "Textures for sale" theme; more to follow. It's actually one of the least abstracts of such photos I have, but that is partially due to the size of the objects. ;) You'll see when I post more of those.

As to the main reason for wearing these kind of slippers, see my note with yesterday's photo. Still you have a good point about cleaning shoes - when it's dusty.

But most of Yemen has two rainy seasons, and even in the desert areas there can be flash floods (sometimes with cars swept away and people drowning!). I was there at the end of the first (less wet) rainy season, and we had a few downpours while in Ta'iz. In those circumstances these slippers are practical for the opposite reason: they're not harmed by all that water (as opposed to leather shoes or sandals), even when the streets temporarily turn into riverbeds and you have to wade...