To ngythanh: Russia - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ngythanh 2005-07-22 20:37

A picture to view, a text to think, a photographic essay to learn. Three in one.
Thank. Thank. Thank!

--------------
Did you book a tours, or you explored by yourself? I would like to visit Russia but can not decide how and where to map out the itinerary. Could you advise, please? -- Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:56 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To ngythanh: Russia

Hi Thanh: I would not be the best person to ask about advice on traveling to Russia as I have only been to Moscow and St Petersburg. I went there on business and managed to squeeze in a day sightseeing on the weekend before returning home. I always explore on my own, unless it is a place where there is no alternative to take an organised tour, but there are risks in doing that in Russia. In Moscow I was warned not to go on the streets on my own after dark, and in St Petersburg I got attacked by four men on the main street at 3 pm in the afternoon. They were after my camera, wallet and passport. I fought them off by swinging my D100 at them - it is not in the Nikon manual but makes a good weapon. (Nobody came to my aid as I was told it happens all the time in Russian cities). Ten minutes before that someone had tried to pick my pocket. I feel safer walking the backstreets of Yangon or HCMC at midnight than I do walking the main streets of Moscow or St Petersburg during the day. There are some wonderful places to photograph in Russia, but my recommendation would be to go with one or two other people. Cheers . . . David
Old 07-23-2005, 07:53 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To ngythanh: Russia

David:

What rich experience you gave me today!
Do you permit me to quote your stories as reference in the future, about the safety of HCMC or Yangoon backstreets against the potential attacks in Russia?

I am sure Doestoievsky would put such stories into his novel, had he be alive today and read what you are telling me.

Best regards,

Thanh
Old 07-23-2005, 10:57 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To ngythanh: Russia

No problem Thanh - I just hope I haven't put you off visiting Russia - it is worth the effort to make at least one visit, despite the difficulties. Cheers . . . David