Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Zanni 2004-05-12 15:30

Great job, Paul. Very useful notes. In my opinion they built the bridge in little time. Peraphs you know that in Italy they want to build a dream: the bridge upon the Strait of Messina. It would be the longest sospension bridge in the wordld (three chilometers!) I think that it is not the ideal place to build this bridge for many reasons (strong winds, the sea is like an ocean, the devastation of lovely places that are here, the priority of others infrastructure: the motorway Palermo-Messina is not still completed, ecc)Over all I think that it will not built in less than 20 years!

Old 05-14-2004, 09:25 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To Zanni: Messina

Hello Gae

Thanks for the comment. I have been watching the Messina Bridge, eagerly. I think it would be an important link that will be needed. But as you say there are many things that need to be finished first before it can be that important link.

But, yes, it will probably be a while before we see the first car go across it. Much like our dreamed of second bridge. They say 2012 now, just like they say for the Messina Bridge, but that has been getting pushed back since at least the 1980s, too. Too much politics and the current bridge company fighting to keep its monopoly on the only cross border heavy cargo link within 90 miles.

Thanks again

Paul