Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Galeota 2004-07-28 6:25

I must say I'm rather impressed by the quality of the image, considering that the 18-55 cannot be considered as a particularly good lens. I guess you have at least sharpened it in pp because usually they come out softer than this out of the camera.

The composition is good. I like the curve starting exactly at the left low angle. People going away from you and out of the frame: that reminds me a little bit your yesterday's post. Beautiful sighty you have in the region where you live.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:36 PM
TE Expert

Default To Galeota: I learned along the way...

what is often suggested at this site, that virtually all digital images require some sharpening. I've also observed that a really poor quality image cannot be saved by sharpening or any other Photoshop trick for that matter. I think the 18-55 gets a bit of a bum rap by some folks. I've read reviews that are quite complimentary of this basic lens. I just checked this image again as downloaded from the camera and it is very clean. However, I did my standard post processing work that included a single pass of Unsharpen Mask. If I recall correctly it was 99,3.0. I know we agree that using available tools to create the best possible image is the way to go, so whatever the image calls for I'll do my best to make it happen.

I also am aware that you are one of the participants at the site for whom every angle within a composition is considered. That is the reason I've never suggested that one of your images be cropped differently. I respect the thoughtful choices you make. In some images they are the source of great delight, in fact. Olli is a master at that as well and I've been much affected by his care. So, needless to say, there is no accidental or random alignment within my images either. It is always a pleasure to reflect on images with you since I know how fine your eye is at marking what is happening. Your observations, therefore, are always welcomed and appreciated.