Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Liora 2004-07-28 12:10

I like the colors here too! Very good definition, excellent focus (and, of course, very good composition). Funny, I was looking at the photo before I read the note and thought "what is this rock"... and then I find out it's THE Rock...

Old 07-28-2004, 08:36 PM
TE Expert

Default To Liora: I'm always surprised Liora...

by how familiar you are with American culture. A year and a half in New York hardly explains you knowing such things as the reference to THE ROCK. But perhaps you saw the Sean Connery film of that name, or even the great classic with Burt Lancaster called "The Birdman of Alcatraz."

Glad you like this image. This was my final day with my friend's Canon Digital Rebel and by the time I finished I was completely sold on the camera. I ordered one Monday and learned today it has been shipped. I consider it a gift to myself, one that will, no doubt, give me great pleasure over the years. Certainly, a fine site like this one with so many really great folks, makes doing photography even more of a pleasure.

Thanks for sharing your observations Liora. I like critiques that include personal reactions in addition to technical assessment. It makes the whole exchange more human and friendly.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:00 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Liora: I'm always surprised Liora...

Congrats on the new camera! I'm sure you'll enjoy it and we'll enjoy it too!
As for my vast knowledge of American "folklore" - I watched both movies... I watched many American movies growing up, listened to American music and ate Big Macs for lunch... In fact, many of us here grow up thinking they're as American as the next guy in Georgia... Only when I got to New York I realized how misguided this thought was... We're not Americans. Sure, we can blend in (well, some of us), but I felt different and I had many barriers to overcome. I think I'm still digesting the whole experience... Don't get me wrong - I like who I am and I like my homeland, it's just the perspective that changed.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:22 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Liora: I'm always surprised Liora...

My former wife, who was raised Jewish in Queens, always said that I was more Jewish than she is, although I'm a Norwegian Lutheran from Minnesota. I've had a fascination with Judaism since as a small boy I walked regularly past a Jewish cemetery. I later found myself studying in a library at university that housed a collection of books on the Holocaust. I discovered that fact when taking a break from course work I began browsing the shelves around me. Then I had a Jewish instructor for a class in racism. This was after having met a Jewish man for the first time when I took a summer job at a national park where he was also working. He told me about growing up in Houston during World War II and experiencing racism as the hands of the Ku Klux Klan who burned a cross on his lawn. Later I discovered the writing of Chaim Potok and fell in love with the Hasidic world of Brooklyn. I've read Jewish history, about Judaism and the Kabbalah, as well as literature translated from Yiddish. I follow events in the region and even spent a painful year at an online forum sharing views about events unfolding in your home. You know the old adage, two Jews, three opinions.

America and Israel have a very complex relationship. The connections are often deep and the fervor among the American Jewish community is palpable. Yet I've no doubt that growing up in Israel gives you a perspective that is profoundly different from what either friends or foes in this country could imagine. I've no doubt that living there, especially through these very troubled and dangerous times, is very challenging. My heart goes out to all the people of the region, Israeli and Arabs, who find themselves caught in this macabre dance which causes so much suffering for so many innocents. But that is a subject for a different arena than this. I mention it simply to acknowledge I have some understanding of how you would experience a certain shock when you actually visit here despite your familiarity with our culture.