Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Needs Improvement ribeiroantonio 2006-09-22 18:37

As you said, your photo is not that good but it is worth for its journalistic value. However, what is really NOT worth is your note when you say “When Mozambique gained independence from Portugal in 1975, ***it was one of the world’s poorest countries***,…”. Being Portuguese myself and born in Angola, another Portuguese colony in Africa, I have to totally disagree with you. In 1975, Mozambique, Angola and South Africa were the three most developed countries of all Southern Africa, I would say of all African countries South of the Sahara. What came after the independence and still going on, it is another story.
Antonio

Old 09-23-2006, 03:24 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To ribeiroantonio: Mozambique

Dear Antonio,

Re your comment about Mozambique, if I am wrong, then I am happy to stand corrected. I based my note only on what I was told in Maputo. I was told that the economy was reasonably robust up until the mid 1960s, but then after ten years of fighting between FRELIMO (the Front for the Liberation of Mozambique) and the Portuguese armed forces, with nobody winning, the economy deteriorated significantly. Then after the military coup in 1974, it got even worse and by the time it was granted independence, it was one of the poorest countries.

That was what I was told. Don’t get me wrong. I was not having a go at Portugal. In fact if you look at Mozambique today it almost certainly would be a lot better off under Portuguese rule. And I know from what I have been told here, that a lot of people in the 1970s didn’t want independence from Portugal.

I will do some further research on this and I will correct my note if the information I have been given is wrong.

Regards . . . David
Old 09-23-2006, 04:33 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To ribeiroantonio: Mozambique

Hi David,

***economy was reasonably robust up until the mid 1960s, but then after ten years of fighting between FRELIMO (the Front for the Liberation of Mozambique) and the Portuguese armed forces, with nobody winning, the economy deteriorated significantly***

That is exactly the opposite. The real development of the former Portuguese colonies started after the beginning of the liberation war in each country, February 4th, 1961 in Angola and September 25th, 1964 in Mozambique. What you have been told is historically incorrect and most probably to cover up the disastrous management of the country since independence in July 25th, 1975.
Antonio
Old 09-23-2006, 01:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Mozambique

Hi Antonio,

I have amended my note to remove the reference to the state of Mozambique's economy at the time of independence.

In talking to some more people here in Maputo today (including African university professors), I am struck by the very different views on what happened here in the 1960's and 1970's. Even doing some research on the Internet didn't help me much because some sources supported what I originally wrote, others supported what you have outlined in your notes, whilst others just confused me more!

Therefore, acknowledging that I don't know enough about Mozambique's history to be qualified to make a judgement on all of these opposing views, I thought it best that I edit the note to leave only the reference to the fact that at the end of the civil war, Mozambique was one of the world's poorest countries - at least that point everyone seems to agree on.

Regards . . . David