Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Polonaise 2006-09-23 0:07

The photo has its incredible value as a document.
I wouldn't complain too much about quality as well.
Typical journalistic, well executed shot.
Classic banyanman - shall we say?
-------------------
The note?
I'm afraid, both of you gentlemen suffer from inadequate sources of knowledge, IMHO.
The Mozambique sources are out of question and can only be taken as a source of further study and the experienced photojournalist like Peter should NEVER relay on them word by word.
Portuguese sources?
No doubt much more reliable, yet...?
Portugal was one of the sides in the whole affair and one can only expect some 'undocumented" frills in their tales as well.
Where is the truth? Well...My guess is as good as yours, pals.
Little bit of common logic, some historical facts and voila...The Mozambique case is ready to take off (if anybody dares?).
Have a great WE
g.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:14 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Polonaise: Mozambique note

Hi George,

Yes, you are right. I shouldn't have just relied on one source.

As I mentioned in my last reply to Antonio, in talking to some more people here in Maputo today (including African university professors), I am struck by the very different views on what happened here in the 1960's and 1970's. Even doing some research on the Internet didn't help me much because some sources supported what I originally wrote, others supported what Antonio outlined in is replies, whilst others just confused me more.

Therefore, acknowledging that I don't know enough about Mozambique's history to be qualified to make a judgement on all of these opposing views, I have edited my note to leave only the reference to the fact that at the end of the civil war, Mozambique was one of the world's poorest countries - at least that point everyone seems to agree on.

Cheers . . . David
Old 09-23-2006, 03:46 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Polonaise: Mozambique note

The smartest choice, I strongly believe.
Mozambique??
History of the world!!!!
Just one more never solved dilemma added to it.
Cheers, Peter
g