Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kensimage 2006-09-23 0:23

You got away with breaking the rules about not carrying a camera, obviously--did you have an armed guard, or what? It's a nice journalistic shot of a place most of us wouldn't dare enter, given the warnings that get issued. We see everyday life quite vividly here. Thanks for bringing it to us! Regards, Ken.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:23 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To kensimage: Mozambique safety

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the critique. I think the rule about not carrying a camera applies more to the city because that is where people are hanging around to snatch valuables from foreigners. The main problem, I was told, was with people answering mobile phones - and then when they are concentrating on their call, someone appears out of nowhere and snatches it. Out in the 'suburbs' where I was, I suspect a foreigner with a camera is such a rare sight, that it wouldn't occur to them to snatch it - at least not straightaway! No, I didn't have an armed guard with me, only a taxi driver whom I hoped would help me out of trouble if there was any - but fortunately there wasn't any.

Cheers . . . David

PS: A taxi wth an English speaking driver is only US$8 an hour here - a big change from Paris!