Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great singuanti 2007-01-14 22:48

Hi Sam. I've always wanted to try this style more often and every time I do I never achieve anything quite like what you have here. You had good sharpness even at f/32. You did well with highlight retention and a balanced exposure. Very nice one Sam.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To singuanti: Water blur

Hello, Stephen--
Yeah, i had always been interested in trying the long-exposure motion blur pictures myself, particularly after seeing the great effect to which many people here on TE (particularly Adam Burton) use them. While in Peru i spent close to a month living in a small village with a beautiful rock-bedded creek running through it, a tributary of the Colca River. What was particularly convenient about this location is that the village was located at about 9,300 feet, but was braced on either side by 13,000-15,000 foot mountains. As a result, direct sunlight was very limited--the sun would climb over the top of the mountain to our east at around 9am and drop over the mountains to our west by 4:30 or 4:45 in the afternoon, but it would be light as early as 7:15 or 7:30 am and not get dark until after 6:00 pm. As a result, windows for taking long exposure pictures were very broad. i then just focused on trial-and-error education, doing anything and everything that i could find a way to in order to see what i liked.

i found that i had the most success when i worked closer in rather than on a large scale, often using longer focal lengths, in order to simplify a scene as much as possible. i then focused on finding something that would stay sharp (here the rock, which i still have mixed feelings about... somebody earlier mentioned that it kind of looks like an afterthought, and i kind of agree) in order to give an overall feeling of sharpness and to contrast with the blur. Finally, i tried to have the picture moving in a particular direction. Since the blur of the water is the camera's way of recording movement over a long period of time, i thought that the composition should move with the water to further the effect. One thing that i didn't really pick up on until i got back to America, though, was that as this was my first time to experiment with longer exposure times, i very definitely went overboard. i would have done well to bracket with what i used as my shortest time functioning as my longest time, as anything longer than the shortest time blew out the highlights to white for no reason other than an arbitrarily long exposure time.

Whenever there was any sort of stronger light on the subject matter i got mixed results... it's something that i'd certainly like another shot at though, as sometimes it gave me outstanding color. Perhaps in Panama this summer...

Happy shooting!
sam