Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Critiques

There seems to be a strong pattern on TE regarding critiqueing behaviour and many pictures being viewed sometimes hundreds of times without a single critique or very few considering the amount of times a picture is viewed. Personally I'm seeing less response to my own work recently, though I actively critique when actively involved in the site, it seems unless you have established a strong group of friends who critique each other back and forth, its difficult to gain very much feedback at all.

I've experimented with uploading less traditional landscape images and it is obvious that certain images receive much more attention than other in terms of points and comments (this subject has been much debated and commented on previously), having said that, my more recent work and more unusual images still receive plenty enough views to expect more comments but it seems people choose not to for whatever reason...yet these "views" are chosen from the thumbnail gallery, so its a three step process. I think it would be really interesting if once a member decided to view a picture fully from the gallery page, that they could be locked in to that page as such and would have to leave a comment about the image before being able to move on. Perhaps quality of some critiques would fall, people would be more selective about which photo's they decide to view, but there would surely be more feedback and more learning on the whole.

Thought it was an interesting point to raise and I think its a bit of a shame that some of these habits are so strong on here now....would be interested to know some views on this.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:25 PM

You raise some interesting points, particularly the idea of 'locking in' after viewin a full size image. Regrettably, past experience would suggest that many people would simply write "sldifernsdfpasfnfoiugn" or "..........................." in order to 'escape' again. Certainly many tried that route when a minimum length for notes was introduced

It is certainly true these days that you need to be far more active at critiquing to get any level of feedback than was the case when I first joined. I was very nervous about commenting on the work of others, but received masses of extremely helpful critiques despite that. It was that encouragement which resulted in my own critiqing efforts increasing. Times change I suppose and so do attitudes - not always for the better. Ho hum.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:15 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Keith,

thanks for responding....I imagine you're probably right, it would be a bit of an aggressive solution and could cause more problems than it solves.

A shame there is so much patting each other on the back and not enough honest, critical comment but thats life I guess and we all do it on here a little bit at least. My solution probably isn't a great one but I think it is still worth considering others though I admit trying to change behaviours is a massive ask....I just wonder what those 100 views that made no comment thought of my picture, I wish I knew
Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Burke View Post
I just wonder what those 100 views that made no comment thought of my picture, I wish I knew
Some of those views will actually probably have been 'bots trawling t'interweb on the basis of keywords. Your question is still a reasonable one even if you discount half of the views as coming from that source. Even if people don't want to use one of their critiques they could leave a comment.