Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great daddo 2013-11-08 14:38

Bonjour Olivier. Fascinating details and lovely earthy colours. Excellent POV showcases the artisans' skills. I don't know about the use of the word "cult". Regards. Klaudio.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:46 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To daddo: The word "cult"

Well, english is not my native language and sometimes I don't know which word to use, so I used the word "cult" from a Google translation of french word "culte" but it may not be the right translation. I meant you can enter the mosque only to pray, it is not a place you can visit as you could do for churches for example in Europe Do you know the right english word for this ?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Olivier. The connotation with the word cult is that it pertains to smaller religious groups, usually bizarre or out of the mainstream. Since Islam is one of the three major religions of the Book (i.e. all sharing the Old Testament) , it is not right in English to call Islam a cut for by extension so would be Christianity and Judaism.

Webster dictionary definition of cult:

: a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous

: a situation in which people admire and care about something or someone very much or too much

: a small group of very devoted supporters or fans

Regards,
Klaudio
Old 11-10-2013, 01:40 PM
TE Junior Member

OK I understand, it is not far from the meaning of what we call a "secte" in France I changed my note to replace "cult" with "prayers"