To PaulVDV: independent in senegal - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2018-12-01 12:08

Hello Malgo,
Interesting note on the colonial period in West Africa. I note that Togo did not belong to AOF. I didn't know that.
The children on your main photo look a bit wary. Not so on the photos in the WS.
But they all wear beautiful colourful clothes.
Craig has a lot of questions. But you made an organized group tour through the country. So everything is a little different.
I'm wondering if it would be possible to travel independently through Senegal as this is possible in Asia and Latin America.
Best regards, Paul

Old 12-01-2018, 08:24 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: independent in senegal

Hello Paul,
Sorry Malgo for breaking in. I just wanted to tell Paul that I travelled independently through parts of Senegal in 1990, and it was quite easy. There are buses or shared taxis going everywhere. Just go to the bus station or taxi stand in any town and get on. The usually leave when they're full. Roads were not always very good in those days, but I imagine they would be better now. Senegal is a comparatively well developed country, so there should be decent hotels in most places.
Togo was a German colony to the end of WW1 and was then shared between UK and France, after WW2 courtesy of the UN.
Have a nice Sunday,
Gert
Old 12-01-2018, 08:58 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul and Gert,

Probably it would be possible, maybe not to every place I visited, some were rather remote. Now the roads are being built by French companies so they are better than in Gert's times. I saw some buses but they were not especially inviting, heavily overloaded. I travelled like that in Latin America and Asia, but I am not sure if I would do it in Africa. But my friend (the women a bit younger than me) travelled alone to many African countries (recently Madagascar, earlier Burkina Faso, Benin, Ghana, Rwanda... ).
Some hotels I stayed were rather hardcore . With problems with electricity and water but with wi-fi .
Have a nice Sunday
MAlgo
MAlgo
Old 12-02-2018, 09:36 AM
TE Expert

Hi, Before going to Gambia, I met at the airport a guy, who bought only very cheap charter flight to Banjul (for less than 200 euro). He has called me today. He traveled around the Gambia independently and was delighted to do it. It was quite easy. And the man is 78 years old! Optimistic .

Have a nice Sunday

MAlgo