Photos

Photographer's Note

2011 - All rights reserved. The photos taken by photographer John Maenhout are registered and copyrighted. Use in any form (web, paper publication, public exposure, etc.) is strictly forbidden without the written permission of the photographer. To contact with photographer please use johnmaenhout@yahoo.com

This picture has been taken almost three month ago, during a bike trip through the fog, 300m of the Dutch border.
A very important place during the liberation of our community
Flanders during World War II was twice part of the international arena. Both during the German invasion in May 1940 and four years later, in October and November 1944 there was heavy fighting. This bridge was used for transporting military vehicles
History
The Bailey bridge is a portable pre-fabricated truss bridge, designed for use by military engineering units to bridge up to 60-metre gaps (200 ft). It requires no special tools or heavy equipment for construction, the bridge elements are small enough to be carried in trucks, and the bridge is strong enough to carry tanks. It is considered a great example of military engineering. Bailey bridges are also extensively used in civil engineering construction projects to provide temporary access across canals, rivers, railway lines, etc.
Donald Bailey was a civil servant in the British War Office who tinkered with model bridges as a hobby.
He presented one such model to his chiefs, who saw some merit in the design. A team of Royal Engineer (RE) officers was assembled at the Military Engineering Experimental Establishment (MEXE), in Barrack Road Christchurch, Dorset, in 1941 and 1942; among them were Robin Foulkes, Darrell Herbert, John de Waele and Bill Buckle, all R.E. subalterns at the time. In the course of development, the bridge was tested in several formats, e.g, as a suspension bridge, and as a "stepped arch" bridge, as well as the flat truss bridge which became the standard. The prototype of this was used to span Mother Siller's Channel which cuts through the nearby Stanpit Marshes, an area of marshland at the confluence of the River Avon (Hampshire) and the River Stour, Dorset. It still remains there as a functioning bridge.
ridges in the other formats were built, temporarily, to cross the Avon and Stour in the meadows nearby. After successful development and testing, the bridge was taken into service by the Corps of Royal Engineers and first used in North Africa in 1942. A number of bridges were available by 1944 for D-Day, when production was accelerated. The US also licensed the design and started rapid construction for their own use. Bailey was later knighted for his invention, which continues to be widely produced and used today.

I hope you like it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Shooting Date/Time
16/11/2010 17:08:48
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/13
Av( Aperture Value )
22.0
ISO Speed
400
Lens
EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Focal Length
24.0mm
Image Size
5616x3744
Image Quality
RAW
Picture Style
Landscape

Photo Information
Viewed: 4196
Points: 174
Discussions
Additional Photos by John Maenhout (jhm) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 26120 W: 522 N: 44710] (190617)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH