Photos

Photographer's Note

The Château de Vayres is a medieval castle, located on the banks of the Dordogne River, in the town of Vayres, near the city of Bordeaux. The château was rebuilt during the Renaissance, and again in 1700. It is classified as an official historical landmark of France, and the gardens are listed as among the Notable Gardens of France by the Committee of Parks and Gardens of the French Ministry of Culture.

The castle is sited on a point dominating the Dordogne River. Excavations found pottery ovens, indicating that the site had a large population in Gallo-Roman times, and that there was a wooden fort on the site, and later a gallo-roman oppidum, or fortress.

The castle was built in the 11th century to protect the city of Bordeaux. It was made of stone and surrounded by a wooden palisade, as attested in a manuscript dated 1092. Nothing remains of the original structure.

In 1288 the château and lands were given as a dowry to Amanieu VII d'Albret, who became the seigneur des Vayres. He strengthened the fortifications with a new tower, Tour du Moulin. The buildings remained in his family for three hundred years, until the time of King Henry IV.

Beginning in 1326 Bérard d’Albret took the side of England in the struggle for control of the region. He received financial support from King Eward II of England, and turned the castle into a large fortress. The donjon, the entry and the moats, now dry, still remain from that period.

The château was badly damaged during the Hundred Years War. During the 14th century, its successive owners switched back and forth between the French and English side. The castle was seized in retaliation and given to different nobles, including Gaston de Foix, and another branch of the d'Albret family. In 1499 it was given by marriage to Cesar Borgia, whose daughter then restored it to the Henri d'Albret. the king of Navarre and the grandfather of the future King of France, Henry IV, in 1535.

Henry IV inherited the house through his mother, Jeanne d'Albret. He stayed in the castle several times, and then in 1583 he sold it, largely ruined, to Ogier de Gourgue. Ogier de Gourgue was in charge of the treasury of Guyenne, and he commissioned a well-known architect, Louis de Foix, who had built the lighthouse of Cordouan and had worked for the king of Spain, to rebuild the castle in the new style of the French Renaissance, with an elegant façade, in the mannerist style of the late Renaissance, facing the Court of Honour.

In the 17th century the Château de Vayres was the scene of battles between the Gourgue family and other nobles of the region against the power of Cardinal Mazarin and the young King Louis XIV. The château was badly damaged during these battles.

In about 1700 Jacques-Joseph de Gourgue, the bishop of Bazas, undertook the restoration of the château in the style of the eighteenth century. He harmonized the structures and created a monumental stairway on the site of the old moats. In the beginning of the 17th century he replaced the drawbridge and the barbican with the present bridge and portico in the style of Vauban, by which one today enters the château.

The Gourgue family were the owners of the château until 1900. In 2001, it was classified as an historical monument of France. The castle itself is still occupied, and has undergone considerable restoration inside.

(Source: Wikipedea)

Photo Information
Viewed: 1367
Points: 48
Discussions
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9174 W: 63 N: 25807] (114367)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH