Photos

Photographer's Note

Notre-Dame de la Garde "La Bonne Mère", an emblematic figure of the city, sailing by sailors, fishermen, and all the Marseillais. While in Marseille, go to visit and admire the view from the top of the hill.

La Garde hill (154 m) has always been a lookout. In the fifteenth century an ordinance of Charles d'Anjou added Garde hill to the list of stops. This system improved vantage over the centuries and this feature persisted on the hill until 1978 Marseille To protect the armies of Charles V led by the Constable Bourbon, Francis I charge to build a fort in 1524, which together with If Castle, is a maritime defense of the city lacked. Today you can still see the presence of strong, underlying the present basilica, and guess on the north porch the emblem of the king: the salamander.

Several chapels preceded its construction. So Garde hill has a triple vocation: a checkpoint, a military work and a place of worship and pilgrimage.

A mid-nineteenth century, the sanctuary is too small for the number of pilgrims who visit, and Monseigneur de Mazenod decides to build the great basilica Notre-Dame de la Garde. The work was commissioned the architect Henry Espérandieu, the first stone was laid on September 11, 1853 and the consecration took place on June 5, 1864.

Roman-Byzantine (domes, polychrome stones, coins, mosaics) style, the basilica responds perfectly to large construction program undertaken with Napoleon III in Marseille. The building consists of two parts: a lower church, the crypt, vault, and high church, the sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin (Feast and pilgrimage on August 15). Numerous votive offerings displayed on the walls attest to the popular faith.

About the campanile is a monumental statue of the Virgin. It was created by sculptor Lequesne, gilded bronze with gold leaf by Christofle workshops in Paris, and installed in September 1870.


----------------------------------------------------


Notre-Dame de la Garde “La Bonne Mère”, figura emblemática de la ciudad, vela por los marineros, los pescadores, y todos los marselleses. 
Durante su estancia en Marsella, vaya a visitarla y admire el panorama desde lo alto de la colina.

La colina de la Garde (154 m) siempre ha sido un puesto de observación. En el siglo XV una ordenanza de Charles d’Anjou añade la colina de la Garde a la lista de las paradas. Este sistema de atalaya mejoró con el paso de los siglos y esta función perduró en la colina hasta 1978. Para proteger a Marsella de los ejércitos de Carlos V dirigidos por el Condestable del Borbón, Francisco I encarga construir un fuerte en 1524 que, junto con el Castillo de If, constituye una defensa marítima de la que la ciudad carecía. Hoy en día todavía se puede ver la presencia del fuerte, que sirve de base a la basílica actual, y adivinar sobre el pórtico norte el emblema del rey: la salamandra.



Varias capillas precedieron su construcción. Por lo tanto, la colina de la Garde tiene una triple vocación: un puesto de vigilancia, una obra militar y un lugar de culto y peregrinaje.

A mediados del siglo XIX, el santuario resulta demasiado pequeño para el número de peregrinos que lo visitan, y Monseigneur de Mazenod decide construir la gran basílica Notre-Dame de la Garde. Se encarga la obra al arquitecto Henry Espérandieu, la primera piedra se coloca el 11 de septiembre de 1853 y la consagración tiene lugar el 5 de junio de 1864.

De estilo romano-bizantino (cúpulas, policromía de las piedras, oros, mosaicos), la basílica responde a la perfección al programa de las grandes construcciones emprendidas con Napoleón III en Marsella. El edificio está formado por dos partes: una iglesia baja, la cripta, abovedada, y una iglesia alta, el santuario, dedicado a la Virgen (fiesta y peregrinaje el 15 de agosto). Numerosos exvotos expuestos en las paredes atestiguan de la fe popular.

Sobre el campanil se halla una monumental estatua de la Virgen. Fue realizada por el escultor Lequesne, en bronce dorado con pan de oro por los talleres Christofle en París, e instalada en septiembre de 1870.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1430
Points: 56
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 6721 W: 5 N: 11565] (52836)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH