Photos

Photographer's Note

An impressive are the rock opposite the Monastery of the Great Meteoro. In this towering rock of stone forest is the Monastery of Barlaam has a height 373 m
The first hermits to climb on the rock used scaffolding, on which the beams BAZAN had holes in the rock
The first founder of the Abbey were the monk Barlaam, who in 1350 AD built on some cells and a temple in the name of the Three Hierarchs.
Soon the monastery was deserted, but was revived by monks Ioannina brothers Theophanes and Nectarios in 1518 AD. Those rebuilt on the ruins of old buildings, the Church of All Saints and the Church of St. John the Baptist are two of the most beautiful churches of the rocks.
Access to the Monastery of scaffolding was later replaced with long ladders and the net use it today to transport food and materials for the maintenance of the monastery.
In 1923 the monks carved into the rock 195 steps that lead us today with security at the top of the cliff.
The main temple is a magnificent building called the church as the Athonite type and there honor the memory of the Saints. It was built in 1541-1542 AD, as we witness the signs.
The temple consists of a narthex, the nave and the sanctuary. The Church as the owner says, was built in 20 days. Until the materials come together and rise above the rock, took about 22 years.
According to the text itself Theophanes was tired and prostrate from a serious disease ten months in bed in pain. Once informed that the finished work, gathered all his forces and went to the Temple craving who had just finished, blessed all the attendees, raised his hands, beliefs and thanked God and the Holy Pantes. He turned in his cell and died on May 17, 1544.
The sanctuary is impressive appearance of Platytera of Heaven with the sparkle of gold and other colors and the sweetness in the expression of her face.
The Throne Igoumenikos both desks are decorated with mosaics and have on several projects in marble and ivory, constructed under Bishop Stagi Paisios (1784-1808mCh) and abbot of the monastery East, as shown by the inscription on a lectern.
The impressive murals of the Catholic Church in particular are the best of the rocks and have been in the mid 15th century by the great painter, Katelano franc.
The iconostasis of the church temple is carved and gilded with scenes from the wild and animal kingdom
The wall painting of the narthex was in 1566 AD by the priest George and his brother franc, according to the inscriptions.
There are the graves of takers Nectarios and Theophanes. In the monastery we will see even the Bank (now museum), the hospital, and nursing home megeireio.
In the early 17th century organized bibliographic operated laboratory where skilled calligraphers working and graphics. A crown and operated laboratory chtysokentitikis.
Another building that is in the monastery is the sacristy-Museum has been repaired in recent years. There are 290 valuable manuscripts, religious relics, portable post-Byzantine icons, gold-embroidered vestments and impressive is the Epitaph brocade, green velvet, the work of 1609. Several rare and are the incunabula of the monastery.
The chapel of the Three Hierarchs is in the northwestern edge of the cliff. Built in 1627 and decorated in 1637 by John kalampakioti priest.
The church is Hagiographies inter alia, with 24 scenes Akathistos Hymn and with two excellent, multi configurations: the death of Ephraim the Syrian and the Assumption of St. John Chrysostom.
*********************************************
The monastery i'll show you in another picture,
that shows the imposing rock.
Thank you for your patience.
I think not make you bored.
Dimitris
Dimitris

Dashab, ecanaveira, Vasa, ngk, Cretense, macjake trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2964
Points: 20
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Dimitris Kastanaras (kastanaras) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 79 W: 0 N: 174] (1160)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH