Photographer's Note

The original Royal Palace was destroyed and rebuilt many times. Its history is very much like that of the Matthias Church's. King Béla IV started building a palace in the 13th century after the Mongol invasion. The original Gothic Palace was built and expanded for 300 years.
The golden era of the palace was under the rule of King Matthias (1451-90). It was totally destroyed in 1686 when the Habsburg army liberated Buda from the Turkish occupation. The Habsburgs built a completely new, small Baroque palace in the beginning of the 18th century. It was damaged again in the 1848-49 War of Independence. The following reconstruction almost doubled it in length at the end of the 19th century ( now it's 304 m long) and a large wing was attached to the back. In 1945 it was the last defense of the German troops in Budapest. Post-war reconstruction revealed Gothic and Renaissance foundations that have been incorporated in the building during the works. Thus the Palace is a mix of architectural styles.
Today the Palace houses three museums:
Budapest History Museum,
Hungarian National Gallery,
Contemporary Art Museum (Ludwig Collection),
and the National Széchenyi Library.

wishlist, gbeli, zmey trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2011
Points: 6
  • None
Additional Photos by Janos Koncz (konok) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 213 W: 0 N: 125] (2068)
View More Pictures