Photos

Photographer's Note

Badia di San Pietro al ConerornRises on Mount Conero, within 450 m s.l.m. The complex will have news from a document dated 1038, in which it is joined to the hermitage of San Benedetto. Peaceful co-existence between the two hermitages will last until 1518, when the bishop of Ancona decided that the Benedictines were to occupy only the lower abbey of St. Benedict and entrust the abbey of St. Peter to the hermits of Santa Maria Gonzaga. Since then began misunderstandings. The latter were bad neighbors, who for border issues even came to roll large boulders below the abbey. In 1521 the Benedictine last abandoned in favor of the Camaldolese, but things did not improve. This little war came to an end probably only with the fire that swept through the monastery of gonzagiti, which forced them to abandon the place. Only in 1561, after a short stay of a coven of Romuald, the camaldolesi began to stay at the church of San Pietro. This permanence, even through the turmoil of the Napoleonic period, continued until 1864. Dell'abbazia do is the Romanesque church renovated in the early thirteenth century. The plant is a basilica with three naves, divided by composite pillars alternating with cylindrical pillars. The bell tower is of the thirteenth century, while the façade is the eighteenth-century. The remarkable element in the structure consists of the sculptural heritage. The decoration of the capitals, dating from the twelfth century, denoting an exceptional plastic sophistication that creates the usual zoomorphic subjects drawn from the symbolic Romanesque bestiary padano. The capitals of the crypt, assignable to the eleventh century, however propose cubic types and imitation Corinthian from the schematic and flattened yield, zoomorphic capitals of less evolved than the overall style, qualitatively higher, the church above. The ancient Benedictine monastery, which stands next to the church has been transformed into an elegant and comfortable Hotel. The only reminder of monastic life that took place on the mountain is given by a stone plaque, posted at the entrance to St. Peter's, which warns women from entering, on pain of immediate excommunication latae sententiae.

jhm, tyro, mayjayne, pajaran, alvaraalto, papagolf21, PiotrF, mcmtanyel trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17117 W: 130 N: 35406] (195509)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2016-10-15
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposition: f/0.9, 1/214 secondes
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2016-10-16 3:38
Viewed: 1460
Points: 44
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17117 W: 130 N: 35406] (195509)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH