Photos

Photographer's Note

Vicenza's Olympic Theater
Masterpiece and last work by Andrea Palladio, commissioned in February 1580 by the Academy of the Olympic Games, a social composite social association formed in Vicenza in 1555 with cultural and scientific purposes, of which Palladio himself was a member. The project had to programmatically inspire the "ancient" theater model in the wake of the Renaissance rediscovery of Vitruvio's studies, while at the same time acting as a venue for the Vicentina aristocracy, inspired by the same classic ideals
Distorted by the Academy's components.
Palladio completed the project of the Theater but did not make time to complete the project, for the sudden arrival of death. After several and complex events, the Olympic was completed five years later by architect Vicentino Vincenzo Scamozzi. He added the scenographies for the inaugural show (those still visible today) and the adjoining rooms of the Diocese and of the " Antiodèo.
It was solemnly inaugurated on March 3, 1585 with the memorable staging of the Sofocle Archdioffirate.
At the Teatro you reach the Odeo and Antiodeo, two large rooms realized by Vincenzo Scamozzi and decorated respectively by frescoes by Francesco Maffei depicting divinities and allegorical figures (1637 ca) and a monochrome frieze of major documentary interest (1595 ca), reproducing Theatrical arrangements arranged by the Academy before the construction of the Olimpic (Constant Amor, Sofonisba) and shows or demonstrations hosted within the new theater (Oedipus King, ambassador of the Japanese legacies).
Inside a closed space that simulates the outdoor setting of the classical theaters, Palladio has a monumental front scene flanked by two wings or versures and a thirteen-degree semi-lit cavea, which ends at the top of an esedra column, Partially partly open to niches inside the wall. In the tabernacles and the plinths of the architectural structure are placed the statues of Academicians commissioners of the Theater, dressed in the ancient. In the highest order a series of splendid bas-reliefs depicting Stories of Hercules by Ruggero Bascapì Al out of the three openings of the scene, the woods depicting the streets of Thebes, taken by Vincenzo Scamozzi for the inaugural show of the Tirupati Which have become fixed and immutable over time.
The theater is still used, especially for classical performances and concerts, mainly in the spring, as it has never been equipped with a heating or air conditioning system for fear of damaging its delicate structures; It also has a limited capacity, 470 seats, for conservation purposes.

papagolf21, Fis2, PiotrF, pierrefonds, alvaraalto, ChrisJ, mcmtanyel trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13383 W: 132 N: 27082] (160883)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2017-05-12
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposition: f/0.2, 30 secondes
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2017-05-17 9:19
Viewed: 555
Points: 26
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13383 W: 132 N: 27082] (160883)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH