Photos

Photographer's Note

The Church of San Valentino is in a small clearing on the top bunk of the same name, overlooking the Nera River Valley. The Romanesque building, dedicated to the holy bishop of Terni known to be the patron saint of lovers, was built around the late twelfth century. Probably born as oratory of monastic cell with adjoining hospice, then in 1190 he passed to the Abbey of Ferentillo to whom it was confirmed in 1231 by Pope Gregory IX. In the fourteenth century it is reported by Pelosius code as belonging to Plebato of Civitella.rnThe austere facade gabled, with masonry curtain of polished blocks, it only has two openings: the rectangular portal, surmounted by a massive lintel made of limestone, probably coming from an existing building, and the small mullioned window that opens above it. The bell tower is sailing, a single barrel-vault, placed centrally, in line with the facade.rnrnThe interior is a rare example of Romanesque that has preserved almost the entire fresco decoration of which, at various times, has been enriched up to rivestirsene almost all walls.rnOn the left wall, the lower register depicts San Bernardino and San Leonardo, two Madonnas enthroned in the center the Madonna della Misericordia, the works of the first half of the fifteenth century, attributed to the circle of Eggi Master, as well as the next St. Anthony Abbot , which holds books, bell and drone, flanked by a Madonna enthroned of which only the lower part and a Santa Maria egiziaca of which only the hair.rnOn the upper register, attributed to the circle of Spain, San Sebastian, dated 1526, St. Anthony Abbot and a Blessed Virgin of the early sixteenth century. Follow, always of Spain school, a San Rocco with the inscription: PIEREMILO F.F. VOTE FOR 1526, next to the first arch is another small San Rocco with the inscription: 1526 ULIVERI And PICCHIU DE GERONIMI F.F. TO VOTE. Beyond the pillar is more Sant'Antonio Abate from the majestic face and a Renaissance Madonna and Child enthroned holding the cartouche: EGO SUM VIA, both datable around the first half of the fifteenth century. The left upper register ends with votive of St. Michael the Archangel from the large tunic, by suffused with naive face, while weighing the souls. Next, above the lintel of the door of the sacristy he is a San Giovanni Battista.rnThe fresco of the upper register of the back wall, a work by a local painter of Valnerina dated 1474, is the Crucifix with the left Saint Lucia, unusually portrayed with the candle in his hand, instead of with eyes in the cup, San Felice and the Madonna Sorrows, on the right St. John, St. Valentine and St. Catherine of Alexandria, whose names are written in Gothic letters on the underlying fascia.rnOn the lower register, left is Valentine's Day, dated 1544, by a follower of Spain, in the center it is a small fresco of the Madonna and Child with two Angels who raise a tent, naïve work, but pleasant, a mediocre painter next to Baroque, dated 1560, to the right a San Biagio almost completely disappeared.rnAt the beginning of the right wall is a Madonna and Child Enthroned, probably by the same author of the adjacent crucifixion, reads the inscription hoc OPUS FECIT PROUD TIRESIA MANECTI 1474.rnFollows, after the window, a Madonna of the milk, then St. Paul and St. Peter by rigidly timber bodies and the expression sad, dated around the beginning of the sixteenth century. It follows a beautiful Saint Lucia with the name of the purchaser unreadable, draped in a rich mantle; and under the arch of a San Sebastian dated 1487. Under him you can see a head of Saint Anthony. In the archway between the two strings, dated 1487, it depicts St. Gregory the Great, blessing and even youthful face. At the same fornix following a Madonna and Child, which is also part of the fifteenth-century decoration. In the second arch at the entrance there are other frescoes on two registers. Above a triptych, a work by modest local painters of the late fifteenth century, depicting the Madonna and Child with St. Sebastian and St. Rocco, reads the inscription: FOR COLLECTIS MASSARIOS ISTIUS HONORARY B.V.M. ET S. SEBASTIAN 'ET S. ROCHI TO VOTE.rnIn the lower part there is a young Saint Lucia, then another triptych of the Madonna and Child with Saint Catherine of Alexandria and St. Anthony Abbot, all the fifteenth century frescoes. The wall ends with a San Rocco that made Do JULIANA uxor GERONIMI TO VOTE, dated 1526.rnOn the back wall, to the right of the entrance, it is depicted St. Christopher.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 12965 W: 132 N: 26293] (157543)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2017-03-15
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposition: 1/28 secondes
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2017-03-17 7:12
Viewed: 485
Points: 30
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 12965 W: 132 N: 26293] (157543)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH