Photos

Photographer's Note

Piedipaterno sul Nera – Vallo di Nera - Umbria

Part of the municipality of Vallo di Nera, in the province of Perugia, it is home to the town hall. The name, attested for the first time in a cartographic document of 1589, comes from "Paterno", the castle that dominates it, and "Footer" word witnessed since the fourteenth century, contracted form of "foot", indicating generically "the part less ".

It is situated 3 km from Vallo di Nera, the center that gives its name to the town, and at an altitude of 333 m .. s.l.m
Villa developed transit after the decline of the castle above Paterno, following the armed uprising of the castles of the Val di Narco against Spoleto.
Some archaeological finds testify to the Roman presence in this territory, in 1876 it was found an inscription of the late Republican gens Rufria and similar could be seen in the bell tower of the church of San Sebastian, in 1991 came to light a Roman tomb and fragments clay.

Some archaeological finds testify to the Roman presence in this territory, in 1876 it was found an inscription of the late Republican gens Rufria and similar could be seen in the bell tower of the church of San Sebastian, in 1991 came to light a Roman tomb and fragments clay. The current settlement that puts the old center of a rocky outcrop, was built originally as a transit house then developed as a commercial village overlooking the castle of Paterno, near one of the few places to cross the Black River. Built as a trading village of Paterno Castle, in one of the few crossing points of the Nera. At this bridge, during the armed uprising of the castles of the Val di Narco against Spoleto, in 1523 the rebels, led by Petrone da Vallo, killed by the Spaniard Alfonso Cardona, governor of Spoleto, came unarmed to seek peace.
The village has developed and gained its own autonomy to the decline of the castle above Paterno after Spoleto had quelled the armed revolt.
Mount frumentario Piedipaterno, from existing documentation is active from 1682 to the mid-eighteenth century, quoted by a notice of the Governor General of Spoleto in 1738.
Piedipaterno had an increase in its development since the mid-1800s, following the implementation of the new valley road, in this period there were 147 inhabitants, distributed in 28 families and 28 there was elementary school.
Already autonomous municipality, then joined Meggiano, which remains even after the unification of Italy, from 18/03/1861 to 08/10/1880, when the joint is called the Black Piedipaterno was then merged, the 07.01.1881, in the municipality of Vallo di Nera, keeping the seat of the municipality, there already transferred since 1872. to read correctly the structure of the place it should be noted that the downstream traffic was formerly non-existent and the village was accessible only by overlying the Meggiano castles, Paterno and Geppa.

According to data from the 2001 census, the inhabitants are 117.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13256 W: 132 N: 26817] (159709)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2017-03-19
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposition: 30 secondes
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2017-03-20 6:46
Viewed: 452
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13256 W: 132 N: 26817] (159709)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH