Photographer's Note

Palazzo Chiericati
Palazzo Chiericati is a Renaissance building located in Vicenza in Piazza Matteotti, next to the Palladio Palladium Terminal. Designed in 1550 by Andrea Palladio for Girolamo Chiericati, the grand building was completed at the end of the seventeenth century in essentially faithful forms to the original design. The Vicenza City Council acquired it in 1839 by the noble family of Chiericati, with the intention of collecting civic collections of art. Restored in those years by the Bertian and Enlightenment architects, the Civic Museum was inaugurated on August 18, 1855.
Palladio for this building used a typology for the unpublished era for the town's residences, which partly remembers that of its villas. The impressive size of the palace consists of a central body with two slightly backward symmetrical wings with large loggia at the level of the noble floor.
To give magnificence to the building, but also to protect it from frequent floods (and cattle that were sold in front of the palace on market days), Palladio raised it to a podium, which in the middle shows a staircase clearly borrowed from an ancient temple . The lower floor has a colonnaded portico, along the entire facade, in Doric order, with its trabeation featuring the classic frieze with alternate metaphys and trilobs; The upper floor, in ionic order with its continuous fret beam, is closed in the middle of the prospectus and has two elegant loggias at the ends.
On the ground floor of the Palladian palace you can see the sixteenth-century frescoes by Domenico Brusasorzi (Hall of Firming and Sala di Ercole) and Battista Zelotti (Hall of the Council of Gods), embellished by white and golden stuccoes by Bartolomeo Ridolfi and Grotesque motifs by Eliodoro Forbicini.
On the noble floor you can admire the frescoes of Domenico Brusasorzi (Sala delle Virtù Civili) and Battista del Moro (Hall of the Colonna Traiana) on the noble floor in the sixteenth century, in the seventeenth century stand out the ceilings that host, amidst a profusion of white and golden stucco , Some canvases by Cristoforo Menarola (Apotheosis of the Chiericati family and rounds with allegorical figures) and Bartolomeo Cittadella (Apollo on Parnassus with the lyre and five Muse and four other Muse at the corners).
The basement, reopened in October 2012 thanks to a careful restoration, brought to light the foundations of the ancient "Chiericati houses" dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries, in addition to the once devoted to servitude such as kitchens and cellars where Still today you can see the fireplace, the well and the charming staircase.
Always on the basement is the Collo's twilight, the secondary branch of the bacchiglione covered with vaulted vault dating back to the 13th century, that delimited to the west the so-called area of the island, where Palazzo Chiericati rises.
The palace has been included since 1994 in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites along with other Palladian architecture of the city.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 14427 W: 131 N: 29526] (170869)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2017-05-12
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposition: f/0.6, 30 secondes
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2017-05-15 5:48
Viewed: 878
Points: 36
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 14427 W: 131 N: 29526] (170869)
View More Pictures