Photos

Photographer's Note

Castello di Pupaggi - Sellano (PG)
It rises on a plateau on the eastern side of the Via della Spina, at the watershed between the territory of the Menotre and the Valle Umbra with the south-eastern part of the Valnerina, of which it is part morphologically and historically. The Via della Spina was the trans-Apennine link that had primary importance, as a transhumance route and as an axis of commercial communication and human migration, before the construction of the Via Flaminia in the 2nd century BC. This route witnessed, among other things, the passage of Hannibal's troops during the Second Punic War.
The village of Pupaggi developed during the 14th century, as a villa built on the plateau of the same name around an existing medieval nucleus, consisting of the church of San Sebastiano and a Colombara tower, probably dating back to the previous century.
In 1611 there were 125 inhabitants, reduced to 72 in 1713, today (2019) there permanently reside around 50 people.
The dwellings widen around a large central open space, on which the public wash-house overlooks, the Church of San Sebastiano and a building divided into several buildings, including the dovecote tower leaning against an arch. The tower has the particularity of being provided, at the corners, with upturned terracotta vases with the function of preventing the predators from climbing up to the pigeon house.
The presence of some architectural elements suggests that the building, now used for accommodation activities, corresponds to the ancient fortified nucleus of the town.
Downstream from the town there are the remains of the Church of the Madonna della Ginestra.
The area of Pupaggi, due to its natural beauty, is part of a Site of Community Interest.
Curiosity
According to legend, the name of Pupaggi was born in memory of the noble and beautiful Pupa, a young girl of the place. The woman was so beautiful that the feudal lords of the neighboring areas undertook bloody struggles to conquer it. The true love of the Lady was however hidden from the inhabitants within the tallest tower, so as to protect their love story forever. The bloody clashes are still told between myth and legend, by the old local shepherds.

Fis2, ChrisJ, pierrefonds, ikeharel, PiotrF, papagolf21, mcmtanyel trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 361
Points: 32
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 16637 W: 130 N: 34375] (191261)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH