Photos

Photographer's Note

The church of Santa Ana is a catholic temple, located in the historical center of the city of Vilnius (Lithuania), of late Gothic style, it is one of the most representative monuments of the city.

Lithuania is from the Baltic countries, which has less Gothic architecture, due to its late Christianization that took place in 1386. The first reference to a temple located on the site of the current church of Santa Ana dates from 1396.

The current church was built of brick on the initiative of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Alexander I between 1495 and 1500 and was consecrated in 1501. The exterior of the church has remained virtually unchanged since then. In 1582, due to the serious damage caused by a fire, the interior was reconstructed, the works being financed by Mikolaj Krzysztof Radziwiłł and Jerzy Radziwiłł. In 1747, the church underwent new repairs under the supervision of architect Johann Christoph Glaubitz.

According to a well-known legend, in 1812, the Emperor Napoleon, after seeing the church during the Franco-Russian War, expressed his desire to take the temple to Paris, in the "palm of his hand".

The project for the construction of the temple has been attributed to both Enkinger Michael, architect of a church of the same name in Warsaw, and Benedikt Rejt, without there being written evidence that witnesses any of the attributions. The church of Santa Ana is part of a group that includes the Gothic church of San Francisco and the monastery of San Bernardino.

A new approach to brick as building material was used in the construction of the Church. The main facade, designed in flamboyant Gothic style, is its most striking feature, in which the elements and traditional Gothic forms were used in a singular way; Gothic arches are framed by rectangular elements creating a facade of proportional and symmetrical shapes, which provide an impression of dynamism.

According to the architect and historian of Lithuanian art, Vladas Drema, on the facade of the church, the patterns of the pillars of Gediminas, one of the symbols of the Lithuanian nation, are repeated. The church has a single nave and two towers. It was built with 33 different types of clay bricks and painted red. The interior was decorated in Baroque style, as well as its altar. The Neo-Gothic imitation belfry was built in the 1870s according to the project of the Russian Chagin.

-------------------------------------------------------

La iglesia de Santa Ana es un templo católico, ubicado en el centro histórico de la ciudad de Vilna (Lituania), de estilo gótico tardío, es uno de los monumentos más representativos de la ciudad.

Lituania es de los países bálticos, que tiene menos arquitectura gótica, debido a su tardía cristianización que tuvo lugar en 1386. La primera referencia a un templo situado en el lugar de la actual iglesia de Santa Ana data de 1396.

La actual iglesia se construyó de ladrillo por iniciativa del Gran Duque de Lituania Alejandro I entre 1495 y 1500 y se consagró en 1501. El exterior de la iglesia se ha mantenido prácticamente sin cambios desde entonces. En 1582, debido a los graves daños ocasionados por un incendio, se reconstruyó el interior, siendo financiadas las obras por Mikolaj Krzysztof Radziwiłł y Jerzy Radziwiłł. En 1747, la iglesia sufrió nuevas reparaciones bajo la supervisión del arquitecto Johann Christoph Glaubitz.

Según una leyenda muy conocida, en 1812, el emperador Napoleón, después de ver la iglesia durante la guerra franco-rusa, expresó su deseo de llevarse el templo a París, en la "palma de su mano".

El proyecto de construcción del templo se ha atribuido tanto a Enkinger Michael, arquitecto de una iglesia del mismo nombre en Varsovia, y a Benedikt Rejt, sin que exista constancia escrita que atestigüe ninguna de las atribuciones. La iglesia de Santa Ana forma parte de un conjunto, que comprende la iglesia gótica de San Francisco y el monasterio de San Bernardino.

Se empleó en la construcción de la Iglesia un nuevo enfoque del ladrillo como material de construcción. La fachada principal, diseñada en estilo gótico flamígero, es su característica más llamativa, en la que los elementos y formas góticas tradicionales se usaron de forma singular; los arcos góticos están enmarcadas por elementos rectangulares creando una fachada de formas proporcionadas y simétricas, que proporcionan una impresión de dinamismo.

De acuerdo con el arquitecto e historiador del arte lituano, Vladas Drema, en la fachada de la iglesia, se repiten los patrones de los pilares de Gediminas, uno de los símbolos de la nación lituana. La iglesia tiene una sola nave y dos torres. Se construyó con 33 diferentes tipo de ladrillos de arcilla y pintados de rojo. El interior fue decorado en estilo barroco, así como su altar. El campanario de imitación neo-gótico fue construido en la década de 1870 según el proyecto del ruso Chagin.

Photo Information
Viewed: 865
Points: 52
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7995 W: 5 N: 14083] (62760)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH