Photographer's Note

The name of this mill "De Vrijheid" which means The Freedom is related to the regained freedom after WW II. It got this name only in 1968 though when the mill was renovated. It had not been working for many years until recently eventhough well maintained. Only early this year (2009) it had been starting to rotate again.

The exact construction date is unknown but it might be before the 1826 which is mentioned on the mill. It is not the first mill at this place as there is a history dating back to the 14th century when there was a mill located at this same location belonging to the Mariënweerd Abbey in Beesd.

The mill is standing at a dike and has an important value for the landscape. It is situated on a dyke along the Linge river and well visible from the motorway A2 (Utrecht - Den Bosch).
Like most (if not all) of the mills in the Netherlands it is on the heritage list.

Source: (in Dutch)

Royaldevon, jhm, alvaraalto, macondo trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 1411
Points: 12
  • None
Additional Photos by Harko Pilot (TravelerNL) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 453 W: 84 N: 702] (3011)
View More Pictures