The darkened old walls of the fortress stand massive in silence, in the late autumn evening glow.
The fortress or citadel of Alba Iulia is the largest of its kind in Transylvania. It was named Karlsburg or Alba Carolina, after the Austrian Emperor Karl VI of Habsburg, who in 1714 ordered its construction, after the defeat of the Ottoman Empire and the annexation of Banat and Transylvania. It was built between 1715-1738 in the Vauban style, following a star-shaped layout, according to the plans of Italian architect Giovanni Morando Visconti, under the supervision of field marshal Eugene of Savoy.
The monumental Baroque fortress, although built during the 1700s, encompasses sections of the much older citadel of Alba Iulia, first erected by the Romans and later rebuilt during the Middle Ages. It also houses the 1000-year-old Roman-Catholic Archdiocese of Transylvania.
Nobody trouve(nt) cette note utile
Critiques | Translate
npecanhuk (54231) 2011-12-18 15:25
Very interesting and beautiful buildings!
A very eye-catching and attractive picture!
Sharpness, exposure (difficult light was well managed), colors, chosen pov, vertical format, contrasts, black & white borders and composition are all excellent!
TFS - congrats,