Photographer's Note

The Bootmakers Tower (on the right0 (Romanian: Turnul Cizmarilor) is located in the north-east of the Citadel in Sighişoara, belonging to Mureș County in Romania. The building has baroque architectural influences. Despite its low height, the tower is interesting due to its pentagon plan, an outer diameter of 10 meters long and a roof hosting two small and elegant observation towers, one facing South-east and one North-west. The current tower was built in 1681 on the site of a previous destroyed tower.

The earliest documents mentioning the old tower are dated 1522. A large amount of gunpowder was contained inside the tower and this is the main reason why the fire of 1676 destroyed it completely. In 1681 a brand new tower, under the leadership of Major Michael Helwig, was built according to the baroque style.

The tower used to have a bastion of artillery which was demolished in 1846. The General Registry of the city, which keeps a weapon inventory shows the presence in the past of fourteen large and six small arquebuses, three muskets, two quintals of lead, two quintals of gunpowder, many cannonballs, eight spears and a two handed sword.

The Citadel tower facade has changed as well, especially following its transformation into a depository of archival documents after the Second World War. The windows were enlarged, assuming very different dimensions from the ones in the Middle Ages; this modification also necessitated modifications to the entrance.

In recent years, during 2001, an exterior wooden staircase was built on the facade of the tower. Even if the latest restoration does not respect the architecture of the past, it does not distort significantly the appearance of the monument.

Currently the tower hosts the local radio station. (from Wikipedia)

Photo Information
Viewed: 340
Points: 50
  • None
Additional Photos by Piotr Fagasiewicz (PiotrF) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 5213 W: 2 N: 9718] (46284)
View More Pictures