Photos

Photographer's Note

...been on another quest for Slovakia´s beauties this weekend and of course brought back many new photos ;-)...

The City of Trencin, Slovakia is in the center of the Povazie region. It is located in western Slovakia of the central Vah river valley near the Czech border, around 120 km from Bratislava. It is the administrative center of the Trencin Regional Government Unit. It has a famous medieval castle, standing on a rock above the city.

Thanks to its advantageous location, Trencin is an important commercial, economic, cultural and sport center. It is also known as the “City of fashion“. Numerous institutions and companies have their headquarters and branches located in Trencin. Expositions and fairs also have a long lasting tradition in Trencin. Current population estimates for Trencin is 60,000.

Together with Nitra and Bratislava, Trencin belongs to the oldest Slovak cities, chronicled as early as in the 11th century. Its strategic location near three Carpathian mountain passes on the crossroads of commercial routes, has always determined the character of the city as a significant landmark. As early as in the ancient times, the famous Jasper Road used by the Etruscan, Greek, and later Roman merchants to transport precious jasper from the Baltic region, was crossing Trencin. The site of Trencin has been inhabited since time immemorial. Trencin Castle, a typical medieval fortified castle is situated high on a rock above the city. Trencin is best known for a Roman inscription on the rock below the Trencin Castle dating from 179 AD. It denotes the site as Laugaricio and is the most northern evidence of the presence of Roman soldiers in central Europe.

Here, you can see the Trencin synagogue, which belongs to the most exquisite and interesting works of its type in Slovakia. It was built close to an earlier synagogue. In 1913, a Trencin construction firm, Fuchs and Niegreisz, based on the blueprints of a Berlin architect Dr. Richard Scheibner, carried out the construction. The historic building with Byzantine and Maur-Oriental elements stands at the northern corner of the Ludovit Stur square. The Synagogue was used for neology purposes until the 2nd World War, during which it was desecrated and its articles taken. Reconstruction of the monument took place from 1974 -1984. After the reconstruction, the central space under the dome has served as an exhibition hall. A small worship room in the rear of the facility was restored in 1990. The monument may be accessed at times of occasional exhibits.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1703
Points: 50
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Ivana Krekanova (Elaine_Blath) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1231 W: 31 N: 1541] (8509)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH