Photos

Photographer's Note

This is a view of the main entrance in the Zamora's Cathedral, with its very beautiful architecture.
The sky was a bit grey because of the clouds, and this was offering me a neutral light, but I tried to catch all its splendour.

Information: The Cathedral of Zamora, dedicated to the Salvador, registers inside the called Romanesque of the Douro, differing by being the smallest and the most ancient of the eleven of the Community of Castile and León. It was declared National Monument by Royal Order of September 5, 1889. Its plant is of Latin cross with three naves of four sections, the wings with vault of edge and the central of simple cruise. Three apses that it had in origin were replaced with a Gothic head-board in the 16th century. On the transept, supported internally, there raises the dome, which is a drum perforated by 16 windows on which rises both domes, the internal one semi-circular, "gallonado", and another external slightly pointed in its shapes. It is the most showy, beautiful and original element of the temple, and a real symbol of the city. It is, with its exterior decoration of scales, the most distinguished element from the temple and an authentic symbol of the city.
Close to similar works in the Old Cathedral of Salamanca, the Collegiate church of Toro or the chapterhouse of Plasencia's Cathedral, it forms the group that the historian Manuel Gómez-Moreno has defined as "Byzantine-Leon" domes.
It is necessary to emphasize also the choir, which was constructed between 1512 and 1516 by Juan of Brussels. The chairs of the choir stand out for the abundance of topics of profane character: scenes based on fables, proverbs, sayings, mythology and also of the daily life.
The tower of the Salvador, of 45 m of height, was constructed along the 13th century though the style is Romanesque. Formerly it must have been crenellated. It served up to the earthquake of Lisbon as jail of the Chapter.
From the cloister one accedes to the Cathedral Museum, which shelters an important collection of tapestries.

The construction of the cathedral is attributed to the bishop Esteban, successor of Bernardo, raised surely on the place of the previous one, in the best of the city, close to the castle, and supported by Alfonso VII the Emperor and his sister, the Infant - Queen Sancha Raimúndez. About the dates of beginning and end of the works of the cathedral, there is no agreement among the authors, though there exist a series of information that allow doing some precisions.
Recent and meticulous analyses of the existing documentation have allowed to assure that the works of foundation were already in progress in 1139, and that the bishop Esteban dedicated her in 1174, though it did not suppose the completion of the works, because they are continued during the bishopric of his successor, Guillermo (1176-1192), who would raise the transept and the body of the church, while the cloister and the tower were at works in the first third of the XIIIth century.

Copyright © - This photograph is an intellectual property of its author, and is protected by the Law. The use or reproduction by any way without previous written authorization of the photographer is strictly prohibited.
Please contact: pfornells@ono.com

------------------------

Esto es una vista de la entrada principal en la Catedral de Zamora, con su arquitectura muy hermosa. El cielo era un poco gris debido a las nubes, y esto me ofrecía una luz neutra, pero traté de coger todo su esplendor.

Información: La Catedral de Zamora (Zamora, España), dedicada al Salvador, se inscribe dentro del denominado Románico del Duero, distinguiéndose por ser la más pequeña y la más antigua de las once de la Comunidad de Castilla y León. Fue declarada Monumento Nacional por Real Orden de 5 de septiembre de 1889. Su planta es de cruz latina con tres naves de cuatro tramos, las laterales con bóveda de arista y la central de crucería simple. Los tres ábsides que tenía en origen fueron sustituidos por una cabecera gótica en el siglo XVI. Sobre el crucero, apoyado internamente, se alza el cimborrio, que es un tambor perforado por 16 ventanas sobre el que se elevan las dos cúpulas, una interna semicircular, gallonada, y otra externa ligeramente apuntada en sus formas. Es, con su decoración exterior de escamas, el elemento más destacado del templo y un auténtico símbolo de la ciudad.
Junto a obras similares en la Catedral Vieja de Salamanca, la Colegiata de Toro o la sala capitular de la Seo de Plasencia, forma el grupo que el historiador Manuel Gómez-Moreno ha definido como cimborrios bizantino-leoneses.
Hay que destacar también el coro, que fue construido entre 1512 y 1516 por Juan de Bruselas. La sillería del coro destaca por la abundancia de temas de carácter profano: escenas basadas en fábulas, proverbios, refranes, mitología y también de la vida cotidiana.
La torre del Salvador, de 45 m de altura, se construyó a lo largo del siglo XIII aunque el estilo es románico. En tiempos debió de estar almenada. Sirvió hasta el terremoto de Lisboa como cárcel del Cabildo.
Desde el claustro se accede al Museo Catedralicio, que alberga una importante colección de tapices.

La construcción de la catedral se atribuye al obispo Esteban, sucesor de Bernardo, levantada seguramente sobre el local de la anterior, en lo mejor de la ciudad, junto al castillo, y patrocinada por Alfonso VII el Emperador y su hermana, la infanta-reina Sancha Raimúndez. Respecto a las fechas de inicio y final de las obras de la catedral, no hay acuerdo entre los autores, si bien existen una serie de datos que permiten hacer algunas precisiones.
Recientes y meticulosos análisis de la documentación existente han permitido asegurar que las obras de cimentación estaban ya en marcha en 1139, y que el obispo Esteban la consagró en 1174, aunque eso no supuso la terminación de las obras, ya que las mismas continuaron durante el obispado de su sucesor, Guillermo (1176-1192), que levantaría el transepto y el cuerpo de la iglesia, en tanto que el claustro y la torre estaban en obras en el primer tercio del s. XIII.

Copyright © - Esta fotografía es propiedad intelectual de su autor, y está protegida por la Ley. Su uso o reproducción por cualquier medio sin previa autorización por escrito del fotógrafo está estrictamente prohibido.
Por favor contactar: pfornells@ono.com

Photo Information
Viewed: 1714
Points: 28
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Pilar Fornells (pili51) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 242 W: 28 N: 493] (1853)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH