Photographer's Note

The interior of the French Castle at Fort Niagara has been very well restored and maintained. Rooms are furnished with replicas of period pieces and you can freely walk about the premises and get a reasonably good idea of how the soldiers stationed there lived.

The layout of the French Castle's ground floor included storerooms, a powder magazine, bakery, guardhouse, and well. Living quarters and a chapel were on the second floor. Overhanging or "machicolated" dormers on the attic level provided defensive positions for muskets and light cannon. The building housed both officers and enlisted men and even has its own ghost legend: it is told that on nights when there is a full moon, a murdered French soldier emerges from the well looking for his missing head.

The room in the photo is named the Johnson Room and appears to be the officers dining room. If the name doesn’t sound quite “French” to anyone, it’s because the fort was also occupied by British and American forces.

Liora, nwoehnl, digi-mom, papagolf21 trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 1762
Points: 10
Additional Photos by Linda Richters (richtersl) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 992 W: 583 N: 849] (3546)
View More Pictures