Photos

Photographer's Note

SLO was the fifth mission established in California, on September 1, 1772. It was named for St. Louis, the bishop of Toulouse, France. Louis was born in 1724, the second son of King Charles of Naples. Louis and his brother were sent as hostages to Spain after being defeated in a war with Spain. The brothers spent seven years there, during which time Louis joined the Franciscan order and renounced his claim to the crown of Naples. He was eventually consecrated as the Bishop of Toulouse, but due to poor conditions there, he evidently became ill and died at only age 23.

The area was encountered in September, 1769 by Gaspar de Portola, who traveled through the area on his way to what is now the Bay of Monterey. The area was named Llano de los Osos (bear Plain) by the expedition's official documentarian, Padre Juan Crespi. The second mission founded was in Monterey, in 1770. This area was so rich that 25 mule loads of dried meat and seed were sent north to relieve a famine affecting the older missions. It was after this event that Fr. Serra decided to found another mission at this site, which he reached on Sept. 1, 1772, and thus celebrated the first mass there, after which he departed south to head for san Diego.

The mission has undergone some alterations over the years. It began to decline after about 1818, and the area had become depopulated by 1840. A government report stated that the hospital and the villages were largely in ruins, and that the front of the mission church needed to be replaced before it completely collapsed. In the 1880s, the front portico and bell loft were removed after being damaged in an earthquake, and the structure was renovated. The buildings underwent further restoration in the 1930s to return them to their original appearance. An annex had been added to the right of the sanctuary, which was extended in 1893. Its front portico, first built in 1794, was demolished in 1877 and restored only in 1933. Wooden siding was added in the 1870s but removed between 1920 and 1934, so it's undergone significant changes over the years.

pajaran trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Terez Anon (terez93) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 74 W: 78 N: 614] (1382)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2016-12-00
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2017-09-05 20:06
Viewed: 218
Points: 2
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Terez Anon (terez93) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 74 W: 78 N: 614] (1382)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH