The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   This Version of TE is Horrible (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764874)

Retagger 07-26-2009 04:51 AM

This Version of TE is Horrible

It has been a while since I have visited TE - A site that I used to be very active. What has happened to the look of TE. It is horrible! There are advertisements everywhere. What a shame. TE used to be a great site and had a great look.

I wonder how many other original members have left and have moved on???

Regards,
David

pastadog 07-26-2009 02:36 PM

Re: This Version of TE is Horrible

You must be aware that Adam Silverman sold the site to Internet Brands in early 2007.

At that time activity was at its height, with about 750 photos posted per day on average.

Since then, activity has been constantly dropping, now just about 330-350 postings per day.

isabela_sor 07-26-2009 06:42 PM

Try <a href="http://beta.trekearth.com/">this </a>, my friend :)

Retagger 07-26-2009 09:13 PM

Thank you Isabela. You have restored my faith with TE.

That is a great link for the look and feel of the old TE. The advertisements are much less on the beta site.

Regards,
David

ryo 07-28-2009 02:12 PM

You can also try to use "adblock" on FireFox... I have actually not seen the ads in this new version at all!

Olivier.

pedrito13 07-31-2009 02:21 PM

What is wrong with this version? I just signed up so I have not experienced any other versions (though I clicked on the beta link above). I have yet to see an advertisement on this site. Are they all hiding and waiting until I am completely hooked on this site and can't escape?

Other than the invisible ads, is there anything else I should watch out for. I'm just trying to figure out what might be wrong here.

MiguelP 08-02-2009 04:35 PM

I am one of those who has stopped to post. I dislike the new TE absolutely... The owners should think over if the dropping of the post is so big...

Miguel

Dragut 08-02-2009 06:26 PM

I agree with.. This version of TE and the new look is bad.......i 'm sorry for designers but ......it's a fact.

Translation in others languages for menus does not work..and advertising is important, and bothering.

I think i'll close my page..........

MG_foto 08-03-2009 08:18 PM

-- Well, I just registered yesterday, and I can understand former members being disappointed.

As I set my Firefox preferences to block most ads, I don't see many of them, but I can see that the browser is slowed down significantly by "Google Ads syndication" trying to send me ads.

I also tried to login without accepting cookies : does not work at all. And if I accept cookies, my cookies register is immediately stuffed with ads sites, although I ticked all the "opt-out" options I found.

Last but not least : I can't update my own profile.

Is it because I'm "too new" ? Is there something I missed ?? I did not find an explanation about that in FAQ. I just found out in the Privacy Policy something which I don't like :

"Opting out of a network does not mean you will no longer receive online advertising. It does mean that the network from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your Web preferences and usage patterns." : ???

MG_foto 08-03-2009 10:35 PM

oops: I finally foud the "update profile" : this item of the menu was just almost impossible to see because it had jumped outside the brown menu bar. And almost white on white is hard to read! I just discovered it by chance when my mouse passed by.

verje 08-04-2009 01:53 AM

I fully agree with you, it is horrible. I wondered for a time whether it is just familiarity with the old version that made me to think so negative about the new version. But the feeling persists. Apart from the adds, I find the new version cold, uninviting and disorganized. I just couldn't adapt myself to it....

gilley42 08-04-2009 05:32 AM

I enjoy looking at the photographs; so many talented people here. BUT. This site sucks as far as being able to read anything. I like to read the photographer's comments, but the color of the fonts is so low contrast that I have an extremely hard time making out the words. Whatever happened to black and white, and by black, I mean a really strong black, not a charcoal or deep grey. And light beige on a darker beige just doesn't work at all! Too many sites go for an artsy look and forget about the problems some people have with vision. I think that should be taken into consideration. The only reason I still check out this site is to view the wonderful scenes and pictures that the talented photographers have posted. Otherwise, this site makes me feel as if my eyes are on their last legs - if they had legs, so to speak! Can someone improve upon this site's footprint? This may seem petty to some people (those with excellent vision), but for me it is a real concern. If anyone can do something, I would be eternally grateful!

alana 08-04-2009 06:07 AM

Thanks a lot to Isabela_sor for the OLD version of our site!

I agree with everybody - I do NOT like at all the present version of the Trek Earth.
I am sorry for designers too, but I am lost on my own page!

ErikSven 08-04-2009 12:48 PM

Being active a little on TrekEarth and a lot on TrekLens, I have been able to compare the two layouts for several weeks now and cannot but fully agree with the complaint formulated in this thread. This has nothing to do with resisting change. The new TrekEarth layout simply doesn’t work compared with the old one still used by TrekLens.

Compare it with photography: form (composition, colour saturation, etc.) should follow function – should make “sense”. This isn’t the case at all with the new TrekEarth design.

Some examples:
- ridiculously small font size (not good at all for photographer’s eyes!);
- weak contrast between the font colour and the background colour, which also affects the readability of the site;
- unconveniently arranged and inconsistent layout of the photo info (date taken, exif info, etc.): sometimes, it appears near to the photo itself (which seems logic to me), but it also happens that the photo info is “pushed” towards the bottom of the page (because of the length of the critiques or their number???). The way the photo, the photographer’s note and the photo info were “concentrated” in the previous layout (and still on TrekLens) is much more easy-to-use-and-to-read;
- you need more clicks to have access to specific information, such as the photo gallery for a specific country. Before, you just had a list called “Continent”; now, it is called “Explore Most Popular Destinations on Earth!” and even then, you still don’t obtain immediately the entire list of countries belonging to the continent of your choice. By the way, could it be that the expression “Explore Most Popular Destinations on Earth” illustrates an ongoing shift from a photo site towards a kind of advertisement support site for tourist destinations?
- the layout of the photo discussion threads looks quite “messy” compared with the old layout;
- letters like p, y, g, etc. loose their bottom part, at least in the name of the person who critiques a photo (am I the only one to notice that?);
et cetera…

The only positive aspect I can see is that the points given to a photo do not appear anymore behind the photo title of the thumbnail. But for me, that doesn’t make any difference as I already had switched off points and photographer’s name, in order to look at the thumbnails without being influenced by that information.

As I don’t notice any change to the new layout, in spite of the numerous complaints, I’d like to know to who we can address our suggestions (or does it suffice to mention them in a forum thread like this one?) and – even more important – if the site owners have the intention to take our suggestions into account. That would be greatly appreciated!

I for myself DO hope that this new layout will NOT “migrate” to TrekLens…

A nice day to you all,
E.

oochappan 08-04-2009 04:07 PM

Oh well, they could use both sites, the beta automatically when logged in, the beta could be upgraded with the color settings only on the backgrounds, not the now easy readable text but more important than 'Keeping up the appearances' is an upgrade of the functionality of the beta.

I think that when the beta would be removed, even more members will be gone, the end of TE ?. The administration gave with this new look a good example how you can destruct a site, that's the only credit they had sofar.

Didi 08-04-2009 04:21 PM

Whe The Beta will be removed, I shall use Firexfox and all the publicty will be removed of my screen, even in the others sites
Cheers

feather 08-05-2009 09:13 PM

Hi Erik
The person to complain to and offer suggestions to is [email protected]
However at the time of the changeover there were many complaints about the same things.
Good luck
Kath

rajhema 08-07-2009 11:52 AM

Oh yeah. I don't like this new version either. the new one is very catchy and content rich. the cosmetic part of this web site is attractive. but I completely lost interest in navigating around. nor I see any of my fellow TE members who I use to communicate with except Henk (Oochappan). May be I'm not giving myself time to learn to navigate the new interface. On this note, I struggled to get my new AJAX enabled Yahoo mail site as well. so it could be me. But I find hard to change my perception about this site .

Rajesh

xuaxo 08-09-2009 06:05 PM

Re: color of the fonts

To help readers, I put black color on my notes. This in the beginning:
< f o n t c o l o r = b l a c k >
and this in the end:
< / f o n t >
(without spaces, except between "font" and "color").
But I don't know how to change the size.
I agree with the other problems that everybody complain.
Let's hope the owners of the site read the complains and fix the problems. Otherwise, I guess that they'll loose money.

Didi 08-09-2009 06:27 PM

Re: color of the fonts

< FONT SIZE= 1 > for a smaller size and 3 for a bigger size, please have a look to my last post.

xuaxo 08-10-2009 02:36 PM

Re: font size

Thanks Didi!
I did try already in my <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1109878.htm" target=_blank>last post</a>.

ViktorVaughn 08-11-2009 05:35 AM

Isabela, you may have saved me from completely abandoning this site. For the past couple months I have tried various times to try and get accustomed to the new TrekEarth. But to no avail. In fact, it has been nearly a month since I have been on the site, and decided to check the forums to see if people were still airing their grievances. And yup, still are, for good reason too. But your link to the beta site was like meeting an old friend who you haven't seen for awhile. I may come back and post photos again.

Thanks again Isabela,
David

isabela_sor 08-11-2009 06:11 AM

Welcome, dear David
Me still using beta version only for uploading the new one :)
See you on TE
Greetings from Romania
Isabela

feather 08-11-2009 08:52 AM

Hi Francisco
I just tried to use red for two words in my note today and it didn't work. Apparently it is not actually allowed, if you look at #18 of the FAQs. Maybe it depends on the browser???
Kath

John_F_Kennedy 08-11-2009 11:38 AM

Hi Kath,
The "font color" and the "font size" is only working in the note of a picture. The only function which is working is bold
Best wishes,
Achim

xuaxo 08-11-2009 01:44 PM

Re: font color

Hi Kath,
I guess either you didn't do the tag correctly, or it depends on the browser, or else. But for sure I don't know, as I'm not expert of these technologies.
About #18 of the FAQs, it seems that colour, size, etc, are not forbidden, they are tolerated, but "may be removed". Until now I didn't notice any of mine removed. Perhaps it depends on what the administration would regard as fair use of those tags, or "good taste", or something like that.
As I don't know much about these things (browsers, etc), please tell me which colors do you see in my note of "<a href="http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1104650.htm" target=_blank>Dia Nacional da Galiza</a>". I've used blue, green, black and the grey (default).

windosil 08-12-2009 10:25 AM

Re: font color

One way to avoid the poor contrast of text is this:

In browser menu click 'View'.
Then choose 'Page Style -> No Style'.
Now everything appears on the left hand side, including the picture. You will have to scroll down to find it.

Alternatively, try Ctrl+ to increase the size of everything on your screen.