Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-13-2005, 07:39 PM
TE Newbie

Default Just wondering

I was talking to a friend about TrekEarth just now and the question came up: Wonder if sometimes people from National Geographic or something come offering jobs and pm you like: "Hey, i like your Mauritius pictures. Would you like to make pictures of our trip to antarctica?"

Has anyone here been offered a job or something?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Just wondering

in the summer '89 an Italian magazin bought 2 my images of Iceland.
Now i've some contact with another one Italian Magazine (travel and science - i wrote sometimes something for the Magazine) for pictures.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:23 PM
TE Senior Member

It's unlikely a publication like NG would extend an invitation like that. I think getting your stuff in there is pretty competitive hence they don't need to search around for photographers. And professional photographers have other venues for getting work like that.

It's more likely that photographers here will attract interest in the free use of their photos. That happens frequently and I've loaned out a some of my photos to non-profit enterprises. Made no money yet.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:39 PM
TE Expert

Hi Priit... I´ve received request for people to use some of my photos without any income money. Just for free. These people use to have nick name but no photos uploaded, they ask you for a bigger size of the photo and when you send them: They simply disappear... Finally I have decided not to send pictures for free (well, it´s not a law, I can make exception) I allways ask for a little amount of money... So be carefull.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:33 PM
TE Newbie

Just last week a webguide emailed me and said that he had seen some of my pics on here and wanted to use them on his website. I replied to his email asking how much they intended to pay me for use of the pics and as of yet I've not had a reply back. Also the trekearth user name he used is no longer on the membership list. I feel that if anyone is asked for use of there pictures, they should be paid for it. Otherwise these companies that use your pics, get richer on your hard work. Be wise, be careful or otherwise we all lose.
Hawk.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:46 PM
TE Expert

Hi Hawk: By some coincidence this webguide has a nacionality from somewhere at the east of Europe like Ukrania, for exemple?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:29 AM
TE Expert

I was approached a couple of weeks ago by someone local who'd seen my photos on TE. The message came through the TE contact feature. He expressed an interest in licensing some photos for use on a new website he was creating to sell real estate in a neighboring community. We negotiated a bit, along the lines of what I describe in a thread I posted elsewhere on the forum called Licensing Rights for Photos. I did a web search on the person's name and found a real businessman with a local address. I drafted a licensing agreement that defined terms and payment. I spent a day working through images that I sent to him via email. The next day I received a signed copy of the agreement and a check for the agreed upon amount. I enjoyed the work immensely, though I'm less happy with the way the images appear on his website. But I got paid a reasonable sum for use of my images for a period of one year, as well as a promise to call me in the future when he needs photographs for his business. The whole experience was rewarding and satisfying. SO, it is possible to find reputable people who visit TE and who will compensate us for our work. As noted above, however, you need to be discerning about whom you will work with and under what circumstances. There is NO reason to give images away, unless you're dealing with friends or perhaps a non-profit cause that you can support.