Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great SnapRJW 2014-10-02 1:51

A beautifully delicate shot from the Eastern Cape Neels.... enough to make me want to climb in the car and drive south! Is this the mountain-land which stretches northwards to Namibia? It looks similar to the Waterberg east of Otjiwarongo. The erosion always makes me think of pie-crusts.

Hope all is well with you, I'm pleased to see you here again!

Warm regards

Rosemary

Old 10-02-2014, 10:37 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To SnapRJW: Geological Formation

Hello Rosemary,

This is the Clarens Formation and the one to the east of the Waterberg in Namibia is the Etjo Formation. Both belong to the Karoo Supergroup. They are of the same age (Late Triassic to Early Jurassic) and were deposited under almost identical desert conditions. They also have the same fossil fauna (e.g. the small dinosaur Massospondylus which was 1-5m in length) as well as very similar flora. The whole of Southern Africa was a sand desert at the time and, though they are not now connected anymore (due to erosion), they were part of the same system.

The Clarens Formation is exposed below the Drakensberg lavas in the Lesotho Highlands. The well known Golden Gate in the eastern Free state is on Clarens Formation. This area is to the south of the Lesotho border and, in my opinion, even more beautiful. The trip was done last weekend with 48 third-year and post-graduate students. Colours are fantastic in autumn and I must go back then. A few of the local people indicated that they will then arrange a special one-day photography excursion to all the most beautiful places in the area.

Yes, thank you, all is well and I hope with you too. It is always good communicating with you. And thank you for your kind words.

Neels

Last edited by corjan3; 10-02-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 10-02-2014, 11:59 AM
TE Expert

Default Neels, thank you so much ...

... for taking the time to answer my question so comprehensively and helping me to understand our shared geology!

I've visited the Golden Gate area (many years ago) but this I don't know. It looks worth a trip down someday.

I am busy trying to organise a TE meeting in Namibia. Luderitz area, Sossusvlei and Swakop. Can I tempt you next year Aug/Sept time?

Take care and warmest regards

Rosemary
Old 10-04-2014, 01:10 PM
TE Junior Member

Default TE meeting

Hello Rosemary,

It is a wonderful idea and I will participate if at all possible. I have been to Luderitz and I like Swakop a lot. Have been thinking of visiting again for a long time. I have not been to Sossusvlei but did visit Sesriem twice. Would really like to experience it. The idea of doing so with a group of keen photographers appeals to me. Kindly keep me posted on developments.

Thank you and all the best.

Neels