Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-09-2005, 12:17 AM
TE Expert

Default correcting trembling hands

especially when zooming beyond 70mm, I am wondering if more than a few people have to deal with this. And what can be done about it, beyond using lenses with image stabilization, which may not really be the right solution. If it's due to a nervous nature, are there exrecices one can do with our hands for the strength to offset the tremblor, or yoga. Well, any idea?

Thanks,

H
Old 07-09-2005, 12:40 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: correcting trembling hands

Hi Herve,
I suppose you have tried to hold your breath, and keeping your elbows and upper arms pressed to your body? That's at least what I always do, but I must say that I'm blessed with a rather steady hand.
Also Peter (homerhomer advised me to shoot on burst mode, then you diminish the influence of your finger, pressing the shutter. The second and third shot should be better then. But if you have trembling hands I don't know if it works.
Maybe, you should take as little bit more wine, there are people who start trembling because of that, but there are also people who benefit from that. IF it influences me, I belong to the latter ;-)
Hope, you find a solution for it.
Rinie
Old 07-09-2005, 01:38 AM
TE Expert

yes, Rinie, the breath stuff, I use, I got it from my days as a waiter, in the beginning i was nervous pouring wine in glasses or coffee, and it worked. It's not that bad, and i surprised myself with pretty steady 1/30th shot sometimes, but it's there nonetheless and can creep in, especially if we hold the camera and shoot a full session, coupled with a bit of commuting or traveling 3rd world type transportation.

I will see if anyone else has to add to you, but I think yoga/meditation is probably better than flexing apparels for fingers, because of the origin of it, nervous more than muscular weakness.

Thanks, now where do I buy wine in Benares or Mandalay? :-))))

Herve
Old 07-09-2005, 01:48 AM
TE Expert

Come on, Herve, you didn't tell me you were going to Mandalay, or Benares. If I'd known I would have advised you the local beer ;-)
Yep, I recognise the nervous thing, although I do not get shaky, but get the setting worng. or move my camera to quickly away. Actually, for me it's more a matter of being shy, I guess, porbably combined with being nervous.
Stay healthy, and enjoy. Say to yourself that it's nonsense to be nervous, that you are to old for something like that. If you do that, I will tell myself that it's nonsense to be shy ;-)
We can support one another in that.
Rinie
Old 07-09-2005, 03:10 AM
TE Junior Member

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ronald.shaw80/wedding/weddingalbum/index.html
Old 07-09-2005, 03:11 AM
TE Junior Member

oops... that wasn't how the paste should have appeared! here it is in full..!

Hi Herve,

I know exactly why you've made this post, and I think it's quite brave to make it too, no-one likes to admit to being a bit shaky at times, and it doesn't have to be a frequent thing, just occasionally is enough to make you feel a bit ashamed of your own body's reaction to working under pressure.

I had a very similar experience myself, only recently, at the end of May I had to do the photography for a neighbour's wedding, it wasn't something I'd ever thought I'd be doing, but somehow got coerced into, and was dreading the actual day arriving, arrive it did though, it was a civil wedding at a rather upmarket hotel in Cheshire.

The day started fine, I didn't feel any nervousness, so thought, hey.. what have I been worrying about?, I know how to take a good photo, this is just an extension of that, no worries... I arrived at the venue, about an hour before the ceremony began, and then made the fatal mistake, I had a pot of coffee, and a strong brew it was too, I never gave a thought to what its caffiene content could actually do once the real pressure began, after the ceremony I went forward to the desk to begin taking photographs, and yes, I started to shake, and I MEAN shake, we tend to forget just how nerve wracking something like this can be for a photographer, a once in a lifetime event for the couple, and only one chance for the photographer to get it right, the pressure was very intense, I got the first few pictures taken, sweating and hands trembling, and thinking I was simply not going to be able to do the job, and would totally ruin the couple's special day.

Pull yourself together I said to myself, and took a minute or two break outside, breathing deeply and shaking my arms and hands to try and relax them, and it actually worked, that two minutes saved the day, I felt a different person completely when I walked back in and started again, the day went fantastically, I took over a hundred pictures on digital, and nearly as many on traditional film (I wanted to make sure I had backups in case of problems).

The moral of the story? yes, it can happen to anyone, especially under pressure, it's nothing to feel ashamed about, try and avoid stimulants such as coffee and tea, don't panic, take a few minutes to compose yourself, and you can overcome it, believe me!

If you want to see the photo's I took, I put them on a website for the couple, they were over the moon with them, yes, a few duffers were in there, that's why we take so many, but I can honestly say that they probably wouldn't have got a better collection if they'd paid hundreds of pounds to have them taken professionally, would I do it again? an absolute yes, it was a hard day, the pressure was intense, but the results were well worth the effort, anyway, here's the URL if you're interested!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ronald.shaw80/wedding/weddingalbum/index.html
Old 07-09-2005, 08:16 AM
TE Expert

Rinie, Mike, Just reading you again, i think you did not understand what i meant. Not nervous from shooting, just nervous system that ends up having finger tips a bit trembling, when you apply pressure on something, like lifting and still-ing the camera with the left hand. Think old people, but a lot less, thank god. Nothing to do with shyness, this will rather have me miss a shot from not taking it, not blurring it. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

H
Old 07-15-2005, 06:30 PM
TE Newbie

Well I think for start,

a)Never shoot a photo with speed les than your focal length!
Example: having a lens 70-210mm and you are on 100mm never shooting with less than 1/100 speed.

b)Use the flash frequently! I know that Canon’s flash (fill-in) does a great job on concerning the light power on the shot!

c)I know that the pre-flashing that Canon does to focus make, for example, people to loose their posing, the natural posing they have before the lightings!! Solution is to try to focus with the flash closed and when you do, without releasing the focusing shutter (button), open the flash with the other hand. There will be no pre-flashings!!

d)Try to shoot like holding a rifle! No! Don’t kill anybody! HeHe! Just aim higher than the target and lower the aim slowly then when you see the target press halfway the button to auto-focus and then take the final shoot!

dimman