Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

pamastro 2005-08-08 21:11

It's not a bad first take on night photography, Herbert. The cathedral certainly makes for a good subject matter. I would first suggest, if you can control ISO settings with your camera, to keep it to one of the lowest settings to minimize noise. You can also go for a smaller aperture and longer exposure if you have manual control, playing until you get a nice balance between the light and dark. And if you're in a place with traffic you can get some interesting light effects. Also, when I take photos at night I tend to underexpose it a bit. I also like going out just before it gets totally dark, while it's a very dark blue. As for the composition itself, perhaps a point of view with a clearer view of the cathedral and the ability to off center it. Perhaps like one of your daytime views. http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo186864.htm Offers a nice point of view.

Keep experimenting, Herbert. From the monuments I have seen in the daytime photos I'm sure there are plenty of well lit monuments to test on in Indianapolis.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:16 AM
TE Newbie

Default To pamastro: Good tips

Thanks so much for the carefully written suggestions. I appreciate them very much.

I'll check the camera to see if I can do manual adjustments of the aperture and exposure. So far, it seems that it goes on automatic, no matter what I try.

Thanks again, I'll keep working on it!

HJB