Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Needs Improvement HalloweenHJB 2005-08-15 13:06

I know you mean to use the word in good fun, but the word "SISSY" is a VERY DERROGATORY word in English! It is used to hurt, shame, and insult boys who appear "effeminate" and "unmanly." Using the term in private with friends is one thing, but on a public forum like this, it makes me uncomfortable. Sorry, but I though you should know.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:02 PM
TE Expert

Default To HalloweenHJB: Your comment

Dear Herbert,
Thanks for your reaction on my photo in 'the innocent war of the windmills’.
I must say that your comment made me think again whether I have used the word 'sissy' in a wrong way. I perfectly know what it means, and believe me, I personally have had my share of bad language, but might not have realized the full impact of the word in English. I think you may be right that this could perfectly be used among friends, like I have come to see the people involved in this war, that has only lasted for a bit longer than a week, we have had so fun! It has all been a VERY friendly and creative exchange of messages, workshops, comments, and pictures, and exactly THAT may have given me the idea that I could use this word to challenge Jose, (of whom I know is on holiday, but left the 'battle' without notice).
As I really do not want to hurt anybody's feelings, I will change the title, and write something about it in my note.
Best regards, Rinie
Old 08-16-2005, 12:46 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To HalloweenHJB: Your comment

You are a gentleman and a citizen of the world! I hope I didn't sound too strong in my explanation, and I hope you know I meant it in the spirit of mutual understanding and cooperation in our TrekEarth community. I admire your acknowledgement and your willingness to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable.

And yes, I have had great fun with the windmill war, too! I have enjoyed the clever messages and great photos.

Thank you for your understanding and sensitivity!

Herbert
Old 08-16-2005, 01:42 AM
TE Expert

Hello Herbert, thanks for your answer.
That you call me a gentleman makes me go back to a real war, to WW II where Churchill said that in the Netherlands there was only one man, and that was our Queen Wilhelmina, so look <a href=” http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Netherlands/photo220509.htm”target=_blank>here</a>, I'm the one on the right of the picture ;-) I don’t blame you of course, as you can't know whether Rinie is a boy's or a girl's name, besides I only have a vague photo on my intro page.

Maybe for these matters I think it would be better to use the ‘contact me’ possibility at the intro page, I would have taken it just as seriously of course.
Thanks anyway for expressing your feelings about the title, you spoke up, and I like that.
Best regards, Rinie
Old 08-16-2005, 01:52 AM
TE Expert

So sorry, wrong link <a href=" http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Netherlands/photo220509.htm"target=_blank>here’s</a> a better one (I hope ;-))