Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

PSYOPS 2005-10-04 18:02

The use of the panel of yellow agaisnt the dark wall here is perfect. But it is beyond understanding of a stupid old soldier like me to appreciate the necessity of a head in foreground. Can someone explain to me its photographic presence, please?

Thanks.

GJ

Old 10-06-2005, 01:18 AM
TE Expert

Default To PSYOPS: Not a necessity but expedient

Hi GJ,
I think the photo would have worked even without the head, but the inclusion adds several things.
First, it a simple geometric element that provides a sense of depth to the photo. Without the head the photo would be flat, two dimension.
Second, the blur shows motion, compared to the languid posture of the two kids on the window the foreground blur tell us that the life around the two kids is actually on the move.
THird, the shadow on the wall now has a context, that the shadow actually belongs to the blurred boy, so that we have a reassurance, not a puzzle, that indeed the movement around the two kids on the window is actually due to other kids like them. THis creates a contrasting mood...the window kids are in one private world (or two) while the public life of other little kids revolve around them...

Each element in a good photo contributes something, although each one may not be 'essential' yet each is valuable in its own right. After all, it is the split second decision of the photographer to keep or keep out these elements, and we the viewers try to peek into the mind of the photographer through his/her images.

IMHO :)
Old 10-07-2005, 07:38 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To PSYOPS: Not a necessity but expedient

Thank you, Animesh, for your lesson.

Linking to your name, I have enjoyed your photographic skill a lot. Even though I have been trained by the US military to use a camera, I must confess that your photos are in my dream.

Your note to me sounds as being writen by a lawyer who defenses your own positive critique than the true words from the heart of a teacher. An educator just uses simple terms or pictures to convince and allure his audient, not to mobilize the army of technical arguments to battle an ant.

Maybe I am too slow to absorb the real truth from your help, but I took your scholar explanation in doubt:
- 1st, if without the head the photo would be flat, two dimension, why we must pay the price of two dimensions by having such senseless "element"? Do you think your photo worth to be hung in your livingroom?
- 2nd, if your blurring head right in foreground "tell(s) you that the life around the two kids is actually on the move", then a fly crossing by may do the job, and it could also gives me the exact idea of how giant the primary subjects are — a perfect comparison between human and animal, or insect.
- 3rd, regarding an assurance from having your shadow "that indeed the movement around the two kids on the window is actually due to other kids like them", why not something by purpose than by accident like this, or this, or this and this and this? (just a few...)

"Each element in a good photo contributes something". Yes, Mr. Ray. But who are the judges to evaluate and determine a photo good photo?

As I confessed in my previous note, I am an aged mind and expired body. Reading your psycho-analysis, I found "the split second decision of the" photograph-viewer like me to be drawn back to the hot days when we were young: when an enemy executes my comrade and gives him the "coup de grace", I don't think I would on behalf of my country to be on knees and say thanks to him, or use my national flag to clean his weapon. My concept is nake on the table: killing is killing, not a killing as a favor.

Put the photographer (should I use this term?) aside, and set my feet into her shoes, at some point in the future, secretly, I may admit that this is not an artwork after all, then I would... judge my attorney with the entire frankness of my conscience. Needless to say, I sincerely believe that you could name my then reaction with a verb.

Thank you again for your time.

Regards,

GJ

----------
PS: If there are some books that may help me more to accept your explanation, please advise. Not-agreeing with you here doesn't mean that I am one-way to only give myself justice. I am learning, I am hearing...
Old 10-07-2005, 06:55 PM
TE Expert

Thanks, GJ, on your complements to my photographic skill. I am just a novice who takes photos for pleasure and too shy to hang them on my walls (I haven't, though my daughter has a few at her apartment; but hey, she is at an impressionable age).

I don't know about books on photography. I never read any books on how to take pictures. Sorry.

Take care.
Regards,
A
Old 10-07-2005, 06:56 PM
TE Expert

I meant "compliment"...sorry about the typo.