Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: TE photos used on my blogs

Hello Bin,

I am completely new here, and therefore I have a question: you have an account on TE, you use photos from TE, but your account is empty ? Not a single photo ?

Concerning the Copyright, I have experienced the same in music: I can tell you it is *very* frustrating to learn by chance that your creation has been used on a website, with the copyright ok, but without you being informed.

So now people tend to add "can not be used without my permission" notes.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:06 PM
TE Senior Member

Sorry, but I don't think you do understand the meaning of the word "copyright"... You CAN not use photos from others without their permission. If you do so in the future, maybe one of them could press charges against you. If I find one picture of me somewhere, I would surely do so !
Old 12-11-2005, 01:57 AM
TE Newbie

I've just come across this site while searching on google
another blog site
although this has direct links to peoples photos on TE.
A totally unreadable language, but I did find a 'mailto' link at the bottom

mailto: [email protected]

Alex.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:45 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: TE photos used by another site

bin

unfortunately, it's difficult to defend your use of photos without direct permission from each individual photograph owner. there are a few reasons for this:

1. it's breech of copyright, which most westerners are very aware of.
2. photography is an expensive hobby, so nobody likes to have their work "stolen" ... especially when some photographers are professional and need to make an income.
3. photographers are very proud of their work, so nobody likes to have their work "stolen" ... especially when they want to share work with fellow photographers.
4. this is a community of trust and honesty.
5. many photographers would agree to release a couple of photos if you asked for their permission.

people put photos on TE because it is their desire to share their work with other photographers. this is an excellent forum for like minded people to share their ideas, points of view and constructive criticism.

the internet is full of dishonesty. the moment one site goes up, another site is copying from it. that's the nature of the beast. and it's a part of the internet that people who are creative and honest don't like.

we're all professionals here. not as photographers, but as people. we honour and respect each other's work and efforts. please do the same ... and please ensure others do the same too. that's our duty, to be professional and spread professionalism by discouraging people who are not.

in future, you have an obligation to other users, especially considering you too are a TE member. would you like me to steal your television and use it in my house? the, i too wouldn't like you to steal my photographs and use it in your site.

i'm sure that hobby photographers would be honoured to let you use a photograph or two, with suitable recognition, on your travel site ... you just have to ask.

i've been taking photographs for 15 years. i've only just joined TE and i've discovered what a wonderful community it is.

please bin, contribute to the community constructively, rather than destructively. we'd all be much happier if you did.

thanks.

david smeaton
Old 12-11-2005, 10:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Bin,

If you're still looking at this thread, there's a stock photography site on the internet that has been created for just this kind of thing, it's called The Stock Exchange, and the URL is:

http://www.sxc.hu/index.phtml

There are over 170,000 photo's on any subject you can imagine, all freely available to download and use in whatever way you wish, the photo's are also full sized high resolution images, rather than the 800x800 constraints here.

You need to become a member to download the full sized images, but after that, you're free to use them for any purpose, just do a search using Africa and you'll be presented with many pages of thumbnails, clicking on them to start downloading the full image, you could also search by catagory.

Although not strictly necessary, it is appreciated by the photographer if you leave a comment on any picture you actually use (you can give your web link if you want to), you can also rate the images if you wish, all photographs are given freely by the members so it's a nice gesture to acknowledge any you use.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:34 PM
TE Senior Member

u said this : I thought Trekearth its a open community of people that enjoy the world, the life and africa

i want reply: that doesnt mean free copyright !!!

regards
simon