Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-01-2004, 07:13 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Scavenger theme - eaten by April fool's fish ?

Hi Adam,
This morning the Scavenger Theme was there... now somebody tells me it's not listed anymore....

BTW I think this scavenging would work better on TL - more place for imagination. Difficult to take a photo of a bald person which fits TE's rules (learning about the world) if your not living in a budhist country with all the monks running around.

It would be a good way to attract people to join TL and keep TE with travel or learning about the world shots.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:22 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Scavenger theme - eaten by April fool's fish ?

And I, I wonder why this game is made on TE? When we see the subjects:
1. Une automobile jaune
2. Un bâtiment abandonné
3. Quelqu'un avec une tête chauve
4. Une photo démontrant 3 générations de personnes (pas nécessaire que ce soit de la même famille – mais doit y avoir au moins 20 ans d'écart entre les générations)
5. La plus haute bâtisse d'une ville
6. Une photo avec un flou dû au mouvement

Except for the highest building, everything goes to TL.
Adam, I do not know any more about what danced foot? If do not change, then why divide our forces in both sites, while they are alike?

Please help me!

Et moi, je me demande pourquoi ce jeu se fait sur TE? Quand on voit les thèmes:
1. Une automobile jaune
2. Un bâtiment abandonné
3. Quelqu'un avec une tête chauve
4. Une photo démontrant 3 générations de personnes (pas nécessaire que ce soit de la même famille – mais doit y avoir au moins 20 ans d'écart entre les générations)
5. La plus haute bâtisse d'une ville
6. Une photo avec un flou dû au mouvement

À part la plus haute bâtisse, tout va dans TL.
Adam, je ne sais plus sur quel pied dansé? Si TE ne change pas, alors pourquoi diviser nos forces dans les deux sites, alors qu'ils se ressemblent?
SVP aidez-moi à démêler les choses!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:23 PM
TE Newbie

I agree with Nina! I thought about this today and yesterday and to find a yellow car feeting TE ToS is going to be difficult!

Please think about this!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:27 PM
TE Newbie

I think you will find the Scavenger Theme when adding your picture to a theme! Upload it abd then add to them "Scavenger hunt...", i saw it just now!

regards
Old 04-01-2004, 07:59 PM
TE Expert

BTW I think this scavenging would work better on TL

That's exactly what I've wrote in one of my message on <a href="http://www.treklens.com/" target="_blank">TL</A>.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:10 PM
TE Senior Member

Yes Romain, I just saw it.... I'm starting to get real dizzy, running from one site to another. I already had less time for one site, so two sites will probably be too much for me. I'll have to see where I will feel more comfortable. My fist love is for TE, where for the first time of my life I shared part of who I am with others through my photos, but then TL gives more liberty as to the kind of pics I can post and also how I can process them.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 PM
TE Expert

I wonder what Darren, the creator of this idea, think about this? I can put it on TL easily.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:38 AM
TE Junior Member

I think the scavenger theme fits quite well on TE, I can easily think of ways each of the six themes could be done in accordance to the TE ethos. It will be quite a bit harder to actually find the ideas in my head materialised in the real world and to get succesfull photos of it.
I have no doubt that it will be _easier_ to do this on the TL site since almost anything goes there, on TE it will be a bigger challenge. But I certainly don't agree that photos of bald men are only teaching us about the world if they depict buddhist monks. Meaningful teaching is not done by fulfilling tourist-brochure cliches, it's done by a fresh look at everything in the world around us whether it is exotic or everyday life, trying to see the reality of things.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:57 AM
TE Senior Member

Personally, I would prefer to keep the Scavenger Hunt on TE, or perhaps doing it on both sites (with different subjects). For those who are concerned that it will be too difficult to get all of the shots while keeping within the TE ethos, I would suggest that is actually part of the scavenger hunt idea. The scavenger hunt is not supposed to be easy. I wanted to start it up because it would be challenging. I certainly believe all the proposed shots would be possible while staying within the TE ideals, some will simply be easier than others.

I certainly don't have any objection to having a scavenger hunt on TL, in fact I think it would be a good idea. If we are have a hunt on TL, I believe we really cold come up with some different and challenging ideas, not having to worry about keeping within the ideals of the site. As a simply off the top of my head idea, on TL, we could have a subject such as paper clips as part of a still life. Hard to imagine that belonging on TE. Other ideas, such as portaiture, macros and still lifes certainly could be added to the TL scavenger hunt.

I believe that maybe some are thinking the subjects I went with must take up virtually the entire frame of the photo. For example, the bald headed topic. This does not mean you have to post a tightly cropped head shot of someone with a bald head. You could post a shot of a group of elderly people, while having a bald person as being an anchor in the shot. If the bald person is in the background, I would think he/she doesn't really qualify, but if he/she is one of the main subjects of the shot, why not?

To be continued...
Old 04-02-2004, 05:58 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Scavenger theme - eaten by April fool's fish ? cont.

The yellow car has been brought up as a concern. Hmmm, aren't taxis in most parts of the world yellow? It seems like that could be one of the easier ones to make work, although I will personally try to challenge myself by shooting a yellow car which is not a taxi. Again, the yellow car does not need to be the only object, or even the only vehicle in the photo, although it should be one of the more prominent objects.

Maybe I should quickly go over the rest of the subjects I came up with.

An abandonded building. This one seems quite apparent and quite easily done within the TE ideals. I think every city I have ever been in has at least one empty building. Seems to me that making this work within the TE framework should not be difficult.

The Bald Head. Someone mentioned about not living in Buddhist countries will mean having a lack of subjects. Everywhere I have ever been has had bald people. They may be Buddhist, but they may also be old, fashionable, chemotherapy patients, etc. Bald heads are all over the world, not just in Buddhist Asia.

The photo showing three generations of people. Again, this seems to be quite easy to fit within the TE TOS. Older people interact with younger everywhere in the world for infinite different reasons. It might be difficult to find a moment when three generations are actually present, but as I have said, difficulty is part of the reason for the challenge.

The tallest building. Yes, this one is quite obvious in how it fits into TE. Coincidentally, this is the one I am looking forward to the least. Living in Taipei, the home of the 101 Building means I will have to shoot that building in dirty gray skies (all that is available here in April). I will try to find a weekend when I can get out of town on this one, to find the tallest building in another city.

A shot with a strong element of motion blur. I have seen virtually hundreds of such shots already on TE. Should not be difficult to find an appropriate way to photograph moving objects or people while keeping within TE guidelines.

Like I have said, I have no problem at all in creating a scavenger hunt on TL, it could be fun as well, with different challenges, but I do hope we can keep the one we have started here.